gamepedia - more search sites

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
williedigital
Captain
Captain

gamepedia - more search sites

Post by williedigital »

i like gamepedia, but a lot of the games i search for aren't found at any of the amazons. isn't there some sort of site like imdb for video games?
IGN seems to be pretty good...
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Unfortunately almost every game site we know of has something like the following in it's user agreement (this one is taken from ING):

E. Limits on Use of the Services. You agree not engage in any of the following: (i) use any automated means, including, without limitation, agents, robots, scripts, or spiders, to access, monitor, data scrape, copy or transfer any part of the Services or the Registration Data or other data of any User (whether individually or in the aggregate);...

(...and just because they have a typo in their agreement doesn't make it any less official... ;))

We've addressed this before on the forum - we don't really know how to work with this. We do have IMDb in DVDpedia which isn't quite legal, according to their website but it is still beyond me how facts can be copyrighted... That's why we included the Links section in Gamepedia so that you could link to any webpage and access it again through Gamepedia but you wouldn't actually have the data on your computer, i.e. no user agreements would be broken.

We'll keep working with this but for now this is probably how it's going to be...

Nora
nootilus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nootilus »

Have you contacted some of these sites to ask them about an agreement between them and Bruji, or is it a question of big $$$ ???
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I haven't tried contacting any gaming sites, no. But it probably is a matter of money, I don't know if just a link back would do it for them... I'll get on it though, see what they say.

Nora
williedigital
Captain
Captain

Post by williedigital »

a yes, i had forgotten about that.
As to whether they can "really" copyright stuff like that, it would probably be up to the courts. There are of course the famous cases of things that can't be copyrighted (phone books), but the whole history is so convoluted that it's hard to be sure about anything. I'm not obsessed with it, but i think the absolute best thing about dvdpedia is the ability to use imdb as a "primary key" and be fairly confident that it won't go changing anytime soon. I don't have confidence like that in amazon.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you happen to have Xcode installed in your computer you could build your own plug-in for Gamepedia to do a search on any site/medium. We are in the middle of a big upgrade not just for our apps, but also for our site. As part of that, we'd like to make the plug-ing creation easier and with better documentation as to encourage more users that are hobby or professional programmers to build plug-ins. We also plan to place the source of the current plug-ins online so you could start from an existing one and modify that. So give us a month or so and check back. Otherwise if your not afraid of some confusing programming here is the current information.
elcoldtown

Re: gamepedia - more search sites

Post by elcoldtown »

Hey, found this thread while looking for “goodreads/letterboxd for games” threads and what people are looking for. So it's probably a long shot since the thread is old, but maybe you guys are still looking for the database to use for Gamepedia.

I am the editor-in-chief of RAWG, which is the IMDB for games basically. RIght now we have the largest games database in the world (284,605 games as of writing this message). And yes, we have an API and have some partenrs who use it. Here's the endpoint to see what we have → https://api.rawg.io/api/games/portal-2

Baclinking is usually more than enough if you want to use our data. If still interested, contact me at ulankin[at]rawg.io. I'll share more details and contact you with our CTO if needed.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the taking the time to point RAWG out to me. Looks great to include in Gamepedia, friendly and open. We link directly to the original source and send users straight back to the web page when then clicking on the title or displayed URL link with the RAWG domain.

The details page for the API is straight forward and you are coding it to title of the game. Do you have a sample of the search endpoint? What are the filtering possibilities? Can you search by keyword and then limit by platform for example?

I am finishing the upgrade to 6.0 of Gamepedia and the next project is to update the plugin architecture and open source all the plugins on Github and I could start with this. As part of the plan is to migrate the plugins to Swift.

Thank you,
Conor
elcoldtown

Post by elcoldtown »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the taking the time to point RAWG out to me. Looks great to include in Gamepedia, friendly and open. We link directly to the original source and send users straight back to the web page when then clicking on the title or displayed URL link with the RAWG domain.

The details page for the API is straight forward and you are coding it to title of the game. Do you have a sample of the search endpoint? What are the filtering possibilities? Can you search by keyword and then limit by platform for example?

I am finishing the upgrade to 6.0 of Gamepedia and the next project is to update the plugin architecture and open source all the plugins on Github and I could start with this. As part of the plan is to migrate the plugins to Swift.

Thank you,
Conor
Hey Conor.

Yes, there's a search API too, you can filter with the keyword, platform, year and practically anything that you see here → https://rawg.io/games We are working to significantly improve our search this week, I think you are going to like it. As I said, you can contact me at ulankin[at]rawg.io, I'd be happy to show you more details and discuss the integration.