version 5.9.2 (beta 110) fails to import Delicious Library 3

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
ninji
Captain
Captain

version 5.9.2 (beta 110) fails to import Delicious Library 3

Post by ninji »

hi, I'm a new Bookpedia user, and am trying to transition from Delicious Library. I'm running macOS 10.14.2 so, per the recommendation on this web site, downloaded the 5.9.2 beta version (beta 110, per the About Bookpedia command in the application menu). The first time I launched the application, a dialogue box popped up:

"A Delicious Library database has been found. Since this is the first time you run Bookpedia would you like to import your data from Delicious Library?"

I clicked on import -- but then nothing happened, no import occurred. This may be a bug.

(on a less important note, there's a small grammatical error in that message -- should be something like 'since this is the first time you *are running* Bookpedia...)

also a quick question: is the a change log somewhere, or release notes for each beta release?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: version 5.9.2 (beta 110) fails to import Delicious Libra

Post by Conor »

Welcome to Bookpedia,

Delicious Library 3 keeps changing their internal format. You can trigger the import again by dragging the Delicious Library database file over Bookpedia. But I would recommend exporting the data from Delicious Library, from under their "File" menu as 1.5 format. Yo can then drag the resulting XML file over Bookpedia to import.

Thank you for the feedback on the wording. Changed it to be even shorter, as less reading the better. "... On this first launch of Bookpedia would you like to import your data from Delicious Library?"

I do have an internal release notes database for the beta, but I have yet to make it public. But that is the final goal to make it, so that I can consolidate both internal info directly with the what new online and the self update. But it's got a really low priority as it's more of a work flow than a program feature.
ninji
Captain
Captain

Post by ninji »

thanks very much for the prompt and informative reply.
ninji
Captain
Captain

Post by ninji »

Conor wrote:Delicious Library 3 keeps changing their internal format. You can trigger the import again by dragging the Delicious Library database file over Bookpedia. But I would recommend exporting the data from Delicious Library, from under their "File" menu as 1.5 format. Yo can then drag the resulting XML file over Bookpedia to import.
Could you clarify what you meant by "1.5 format"? In Delicious Library v3.8.2 (the latest version currently) I just went to File --> Export To. There are three options (Library 3 file, Library 1 file, and Another Application, which includes four sub-options including XML, Bibliography, Delimited Text, and Numbers), but nothing that appears to correspond to a "1.5 format".
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Delicious Library is now sandboxed, to comply with the Mac App Store security rules. The database folder is located in your Home directory. To find that folder:
  • 1 - select your Home icon in a Finder window
  • 2 - In the MenuBar Select Go > Go to Folder... (you can also press shift-command-G).
  • 3 - Copy & Paste exactly this path into the search bar that pops up:
    • ~Library/Containers/com.delicious-monster.library3/Data/Library/Application Support/Delicious Library 3/
  • 4 - You ONLY want the Delicious Library Items.deliciouslibrary3 file. Ignore all other files
  • 5 - Copy that file to your desktop
  • 6 - You can then trigger the Bookpedia import again by dragging that Delicious Library Items.deliciouslibrary3 file over Bookpedia dock icon or Bookpedia itself or select it in the File > Import
OR and these are your easiest less techie options
In Delicious Library 3.0:
  • (a)
  • 1 - File > Export To > Another Application.
  • 2 - Choose XML > Export 'Entire Library'
  • 3 - Drag that file over the Bookpedia dock icon or Bookpedia itself to trigger the Bookpedia import again or select it in the File > Import
  • (b)
  • 1 - File > Export To > Library 1 File... This will create a folder with a Library Media Data.xml file in it
  • 2 - Drag that file over the Bookpedia dock icon or Bookpedia itself to trigger the Bookpedia import again or select it in the File > Import
The above Bookpedia import actions will create a new excluded collection with the imported entries for you to review. If you are happy, you can make them all part of your main library with File > Include Collection in Library. You can then remove the imported collection as the entries will not be part of your main library.

Hope this makes things clearer and you have success :D

I tried DL1 all those years ago, hated it but quickly found the Bruji pedia's :idea: :D
ninji
Captain
Captain

Post by ninji »

thank you FineWine for the specific instructions on importing my Delicious Library 3 library into BookPedia.

Unfortunately however, when I tried dragging the Delicious Library Items.deliciouslibrary3 file over the Bookpedia icon on the dock, nothing happened (it wouldn't accept it), and similarly when in Bookpedia I invoked the Import command from the File menu I was unable to select the file (it was displayed but grayed-out).

Additionally, I tried the alternative method you suggested, of exporting an XML file in Delicious Library 3, and then in Bookpedia trying to import it. When I did this, Bookpedia recognized the XML file and attempted to import, but almost immediately generated an error: "Confirmation ... File format not recognized".

Any ideas on what might be going on?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

We'll leave this one to Conor but as the error message; "Confirmation ... File format not recognized" says, I think that is exactly what it is. The latest versions of the pedia's may need to be updated for the latest version of Delicious Library 3. DL does have a habit of changing their formats between major releases, even for DL users it is quite frustrating.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

As fine wine mentioned they keep changing the internals. But should have not changed their export to version 1 XML. IF yo udon; t mind could you please [urlhttps://bruji.com/support]email me[/url] the XML file from the export to the older version. This way I can drag and drop it here and account for the change in the new version, so that the import can work with the latest version fo Delicious Library.
ninji
Captain
Captain

Post by ninji »

I was able to work around the problem: previously, per finewine's instructions, I tried importing a DL3 library file or an XML file exported from DL3. just now I tried one of the few things I haven't: in Delicious Library 3 I exported in DL1 format. Bookpedia was able to import that without a hitch.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Excellent. Thank you for letting me know.