Poor search results

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
AFG034
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Poor search results

Post by AFG034 »

Hello - I'm using version 5.5.2 of DVDPedia and I just started noticing that 99% of the UPC codes I enter don't pull up the correct movie and even when I try searching the title, I can rarely get the correct DVD. I've been added many of my movies manually.

How can I fix this?
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Poor search results

Post by FineWine »

UPC codes can very country dependant and as I get my DVD's (or used to as I stream more now) I reverted to Title search in most cases using Amazon and IMDb.

Also are you using your own Amazon Associate ID or the Bruji Amazon Test ID?

Conor has come up with a work around and built into the pedia's a dedicated Bruji pedia Amazon Web Services (AWS) Associate ID. To enable this "hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select "Amazon Test" so that a check mark appears. You should then have access to Amazon search.

Now go into Preferences > Sites list and Tick or Untick the Amazon sites you want or do not want and then drag the wanted sites up to the search priority level you want.

Hope this helps

Also please do try Bruji's Beta version which is optimised for the latest macOS Mojave. You can fetch the Beta's here.
AFG034
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by AFG034 »

I’ll give that a try, thanks!

I don’t have Mojave, so I can’t switch to the beta.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

The next full pedia's release will be version 6 and the current Beta's, which are very stable, have been fully optimised for 64 bit technology only.

The Betas and the next version 6 release will run on:
10.12 Sierra
10.13 High Sierra
10.14 Mojave

Conor has only really been supporting pedia version 5.6.1 (macOS 10.5 to 10.11) in the look up search plug-ins area.

If you are able to upgrade your macOS I do advise that you do so not only for the new pedia's but also for the security and bug fixes present in the latest macOS. macOS upgrades are free. Even if you just upgrade to pedia version 5.6.1 it will run on macOS 10.12, 10.13 & 10.14.

From macOS 10.15, only 64 bit app's of any kind will run and Conor will be stopping any support for pre pedia's 5.6.1.

I do not know what, if there is any, cost of the pedia's upgrade path is from 5.5.2 or 5.6.1 to version 6, Conor will make this clearer in the News & Announcement forum when he releases the full version 6 of all the macOS pedia's.