Frequent Crashes

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
njan
Captain
Captain

Frequent Crashes

Post by njan »

I really ant to like this prog. but it keeps crashing ... especially when importing cover images from Google or other sources...
also if I try to download a dozen images at a time, I get wrong covers and often the same cover repeating itself on other books with clearly different titles....
Is this feature not working properly..
I have 10K plus records and the thought of having to download images for each one , one by one is daunting!
Help
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Frequent Crashes

Post by FineWine »

Lets try a few things and see if we can not together fix these problems.
  • 1 - In a previous post you stated you are running macOS 10.14.4 please update to the latest 10.14.5 which came out this week

2 - You state you are using macOS Mojave 10.14.4 that is good but you did not state what version of the pedia's you are using. Pedia versions upto version 5.6.1 are really only designed for macOS 10.5 through to 10.11 due to their now out dated 32bit coding and when Apple release their next full macOS 15.*.* version later this year, all and every and any 32bit programs & App's will stop working - Full Stop.

Therefore please do download and install the latest very stable beta's which are all fully optimised for the latest macOS and iOS together. The latest beta builds can be found here.

3 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

* Now that we have carried out a few maintenance tasks we can move on. *

4 - Amazon are becoming very strict with AWS and really want those members to start selling lots of products on their site. Therefore Bruji's Top Dog Conor who is the developer and the one and only programmer has come up with a work around and built into the pedia's a dedicated Bruji pedia Amazon Web Services (AWS) Associate ID. To enable this "hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select "Amazon Test" so that a check mark appears. You should then have smooth access to Amazon search.

5 - Please also choose the search sites relevant to your collections by Ticking the appropriate ones in: Preferences > Sites. By ticking only those sites relevant to your collections not only enables you to gather more precise data but it will also be faster in search times. Whilst in this Preference, drag & drop your relevant search sites upto the top of the list in order of your site preference. Again this will speed up search times.

6 - You say you are having trouble with your covers - again within the Help menu ("hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select the desired maintenance option) there are some hidden settings, give those ago.
I hope these small tips are of some assistance to you. If not get back to us in these forums.
njan
Captain
Captain

Post by njan »

Thanks Fine Wine for the prompt response... I was using the latest Beta version 5.9.2.
I'll update Mojave too and check out the other suggestions and report back.

Thanks
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Forgot to add that if your particular pedia is actually crashing do check for the crash logs. You can find the relevant logs in your Home folder under ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Send them to Bruji Support: support@bruji.com

Please describe in the email exactly what you were doing or attempting to do at the exact moment of the crash.

Cheers
mommahawk
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mommahawk »

NJan, Did you ever figure this issue out? I'm having the same problem, which has become worse upon downloading 6.0. It's already stopped responding 4 times today where I've had to force quit. And that's with me not even bothering to "capture image" right now because it crashes every time I do that.
I run a private library with over 10,000 volumes and I am cataloguing 100s of new books every month. I think I may need to go back to version 5 in order to be able to take pictures of my covers, (because I have mostly older books that never have the right cover downloaded) but I'm not sure how to do that.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Currently working on the capture cover art crash that happens for some users. Should have a beta version ready in a few days.

Version 5 can be downloaded here, if you want to downgrade while you wait for the next version and get all those books added.