Bookpedia : Edit Multiple Tags Not working

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
njan
Captain
Captain

Bookpedia : Edit Multiple Tags Not working

Post by njan »

When selecting a bunch of records the edit multiple option should show the various bubble entries (so one can delete a particular entry en mass)
I find that this does not work, and only occasionally do the tags come up in the Genre or Tag fields (and only some of them)
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug.

Im searching for a term in one of the blue bubble fields, and then when I select the records and select edit... I get the edit multiple window but the terms don't show up in the various bubblele/tag fields.

I have rebuilt the entries for each field and
Im using the latest OSX 10.14.5 and the latest Beta build 5.9.2
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Bookpedia : Edit Multiple Tags Not working

Post by FineWine »

njan wrote:When selecting a bunch of records the edit multiple option should show the various bubble entries (so one can delete a particular entry en mass)
I find that this does not work, and only occasionally do the tags come up in the Genre or Tag fields (and only some of them)
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug.
What happens is that when you do a 'Multi Edit' and you want to edit a multiple term field, that field will default to the lowest amount of existing field term entries for those records. eg. if you select 3 records and you want to multi-edit the Genre field and two of those records already have 2 term entries in the field and the third record only has 1 term entries then the multi-edit panel will only display the one term entry and if you then delete that term then that is the only term entry that will be deleted across all 3 records. The remaining 2 records will still display the remaining terms.

So how do you fix this ? If you want a selection of records to have, say all the same Genre terms, and only one record has the correct selection of Genre terms, then what you do is bring up that correct record in an Edit panel, high-light ALL the Genre terms and Copy. Now close that Edit panel and select ALL the records you want to have all the same Genre terms, bring up the multi-edit panel and paste into the Genre field. That field, therefore those records, will now be populated with all the Genre terms you want.
njan wrote:I'm searching for a term in one of the blue bubble fields, and then when I select the records and select edit... I get the edit multiple window but the terms don't show up in the various bubblele/tag fields.
Where are you trying to search for a term ? If you are trying to edit or search for a term in a multi-term-entry field of a record in the "List View" then the drop down term menu will not appear. You will notice that in "List View" a multi-term-entry field does not display the terms in Blue Bubbles, they are only displayed in single and multi-edit panels only.

Hope I have explained myself clearly here :D
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia : Edit Multiple Tags Not working

Post by Conor »

I can't display all the overlapping values from the selection, as then the interface becomes ambiguous. Say you have A, B, C. No problem if you remove C, that is clear what the user wants. But what then do I do for entries that did not have "B", do I then add "B"? Hence easier to only show bubbles terms for a value the entire selection shares.
(so one can delete a particular entry en mass)
Filter by the particular term first, you can do so on the top right search field. (If the term is something very generic that might appear in another field, click on the magnifying glass in the same field and limit the search only to the genre or tags fields.)

Now when you "Edit -> Select All", "Book -> Edit" you will get particular term, as you have already filtered the selection to share that term and you can delete it and hit okay.