IMDB multiple genre request for DVDpedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.

Would you like to see multiple genres as used by IMDB implemented in DVDpedia?

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

Almas

IMDB multiple genre request for DVDpedia

Post by Almas »

I find the multiple genre listing that IMDB uses very helpful, as often films are a mixture of multiple genres. For example 'Good Morning Vietnam' which is described by IMDB as 'Comedy/Drama/War'.

DVDpedia 2.3.0 however only picks up on the first genre. Thus it classifies 'Good Morning Vietnam' as merely a 'Comedy', which leaves out two very important aspects of the film. I think it would be an invaluable feature to be able to classify films as having multiple genres.

I don't mean that there should be one genre called 'Comedy/Drama/War', but that multiple genres can be used i.e.: 'Comedy' & 'Drama' & 'War' and that this information is taken directly from IMDB.

As IMDB has already done all the hard work (classifying a film into multiple genres) it seems cumbersome to not be able to import all information from the website straight away.
Nadsat
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Nadsat »

I totally agree! :D
Almas

Post by Almas »

In fact it is purely because of this, that I'm waiting with adding my 400 dvd's onto DVDpedia. All my books are on Bookpedia, but DVDpedia still has only 2 entries. Multiple genres are desperately needed ... especially with regards to the Statistics function. At the moment when you look at the statistics you get 100's of different genre combinations, with 'multiple genres' you would be able to see the statistics for each genre. i.e. you could see how many films are listed as having comedy as part of their genre rather than getting an additional genre entitled 'Comedy / War / Drama' as you do now