CDpedia Amazon search not working

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

CDpedia Amazon search not working

Post by warhol »

I have seen the other posts about Amazon keys but do not understand how to fix this problem.

My Amazon search has stopped working today after updating to CDpedia 5.9.3 but it is still working on Bookpedia 5.6.1 and DVDpedia 5.9.2

Any advice on how to fix CDpedia searches would be much appreciated.

Thanks !
Conor
Top Dog

Re: CDpedia Amazon search not working

Post by Conor »

Are these searches for Amazon US or CA? If so, could you share a search example, so I can try it out. The other Amazon sites are currently not working, might come back in July, but can't promise anything as I am dealing with Amazon and referral counts.
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by warhol »

Hi Conor

I had Amazon UK, US, Canada, France and Germany in my search sites but they have all now disappeared - perhaps this is because the AWS settings are wrong ?

It currently says access key AKIAJLEOPLOJAJAYBL6Q and associate pedia01-20 but I'm getting the "You are submitting requests too quickly. Please retry your requests at a slower rate." error.

I have tried generating and using my own access key but this is not accepted either.

An example search not working in CDpedia would be bar code 0190759282823. This search is working in DVDpedia though ...

Thanks !

Mark
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the details. It's due to the need to have a certain number of referrals now.

For the US and Canada you can option click on the Help menu and choose the "Amazon Test" option. (Click again and make sure it has a check mark).

Then you should be able to search US and CA. Don't visit the settings page as it would then try to put in the old credentials if you open the preferences.

Conor
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by warhol »

Hi Conor

I have CDpedia 5.9.3 and don't see an option for "Amazon Test" in the Help menu dropdown.

Mark
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Amazon is becoming very strict with AWS and limiting their API to resellers who are providing a higher number of sales. So even if you are using your own keys these keys are now beginning to fail. Bruji has come up with a work around and built into the pedia's a dedicated Bruji pedia Amazon Web Services (AWS) Associate ID and Key. This is now available in all the pedia beta's, You can download these beta's from here. Please do try the beta's, they are 99% stable.

Once you have installed the latest beta, to enable the Bruji Amazon Web Services (AWS) Associate ID and Key "hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select "Amazon Test" so that a check mark appears. You should then have access to Amazon USA and Amazon CA. Unfortunately, as Conor has mentioned in other Topic Posts, he has only been able to activate these two countries due to Amazon's bolshie behaviour.

Also here is a tip: Choose the search sites relevant to your collections by Ticking the appropriate ones in: Preferences > Sites. By ticking only those sites relevant to your collections not only enables you to gather more precise data but it will also be faster in search times. Whilst in this Preference, drag & drop your relevant search sites upto the top of the list in order of your site preference. Again this will speed up search times.

Hope this helps :D
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by warhol »

Thanks FineWine !