No search results on amazon.de

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Pebowski
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

No search results on amazon.de

Post by Pebowski »

I have activated in Bookpedia under Help the Amazon Test - and this worked fine till now.
Today I wanted to enter the book 9783980504843, but it says: No search results. Also when I enter text, nothing is found.
Is the amazon interface broken again?

Regards,
Peter
Conor
Top Dog

Re: No search results on amazon.de

Post by Conor »

I am not pushing enough referrals links for Amazon Germany, so the API is now not returning results. Hopefully I'll be able to get the API working again for Germany. But the real solution is less reliance on Amazon, so if you do know of other databases that would have info for a German IBAN do let me know.
Pebowski
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Pebowski »

Thank you Connor for the quick response.
Sorry, I don't know any other database - and of course it's the same for DVDPedia an CDPedia, so amazon was the easiest and most complete source.
Rgeards,
Peter
DennisW
Inductee
Inductee

Post by DennisW »

Hi Conor!

I have some ideas for other databases for your tools:

Gamepedia: ogdb.eu
DVDPedia: ofdb.de
CDPedia: discogs.com

These are very good sources for informations about new and old releases. I hope, they can be added to the pedias as long as amazon is that unreliable to us pedia users.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you so much for the info. Another user just pointed me out to ogdb.eu and I am checking that out for future inclusion. Thinking of making it the first Swift plugin to embrace the new future language of Apple.
jotie
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by jotie »

Would it be possible to rely on https://www.buchhandel.de/ for German books?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Looks quite comprehensive, thank you for the link.
nachtgedanken

Post by nachtgedanken »

As june was quite a while ago, is there a solution for German books now? I came back to bookpedia after quite a while not using it and find it quite unfair that a program I've paid for is no longer of any use for me. I have over 4000 books in the database, looking for another working program and exporting them would be a long process.
Why not look at Deutsche Nationalbliothek for data? https://www.dnb.de/
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The German Amazon should be currently working with the Amazon Test and migrating to the new 5.0 version of the API from Amazon by March.
ComicFan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ComicFan »

Hello Connor,
searching in Amazon DE always worked fine for me with Bookpedia.
Today i tried to add some new books but unfortunately the search in "Amazon DE" does not find any book :-(
I have activated in the Bookpedia / Amazon Settings the "Amazon Test Enabled".
Is there anything else i have to do to activate the Search?
Thanks and best greetings,
Matthias
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

As per other posts over the last month:

22 Mar 2020, 20:37
Conor wrote:Thank you Uwe for the feedback on the German results. I have had the OFDB on my list and I think it will be a good addition to DVDpedia. Amazon has updated their API to a new 5.0 version and the next version of DVDpedia will have integration for that new API. Although it's actually not as rich in data as the old version they are replacing.

I'll post and update here once I have the beta finished, should you want to test the changes early.
AND

24 Apr 2020, 20:00
Nora wrote:Thank you for trying out DVDpedia. Working on updating the German data source of Amazon DE, that is the site were DL also gets their information. Because Amazon just moved to a new API version, more limited but at least should help you find most of the German matches for Books. I'll post a link here when I have a beta version ready for the new API. But always welcome suggestions on open database for info that have an API to include more languages into Bookpedia. Do consider signing up for Doghouse, as it lets you submit books that you had to enter manually to share the general details with other German users that might be searching for the same book.
Basically Amazon have updated their search API which has thrown not only the pedia's but all cataloguing programs out of wack. I get the impression it is quite a big rewrite of their API therefore necessitating a major overall for pedia's. I believe we might be the poorer for it though. Amazon has been becoming tighter and tighter with its information sharing over the last couple of years.

Do consider signing up for Doghouse, as it lets you submit books that you had to enter manually to share the general details with other German users that might be searching for the same book.

We would all like a search facility for Goodreads, which is owned by Amazon, but again they are being difficult.

Conor & Nora are furiously updating all the pedia's in general, all the while keeping their young family safe and entertained during these times of the global pandemic crisis.

Please all be patient and good things will arrive soon.
riccardor1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by riccardor1 »

the search problem is the same for all the countries not only DE also IT GB FR etc, except for USA and Canada that still return search results.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The betas are finally ready and can be downloaded here (still having some issues with the Japan version, need more time on that):

https://bruji.com/beta/dvdpedia.zip
https://bruji.com/beta/bookpedia.zip
https://bruji.com/beta/cdpedia.zip
https://bruji.com/beta/gamepedia.zip

You can use my keys by holding down the option key and clicking on the “Help” menu and selecting “Amazon Test”. These keys will continue to work as long as I get some referrals from Amazon for that particular country store as Amazon is now making that a requirement. So if buying something consider starting the buying process by clicking on the title in the details view on the Pedias to open the Amazon page.

To use your own keys you can do so in the preferences still under Sites “Amazon Settings”. Now there is a pop-up button on the top right that needs to be selected for the right country, before entering the credentials. More than one country can be enabled by going back to the preference. So far it seems the access key and secret code can be shared among countries but one has to have an associate ID for each country.

Let me know if there are any issues with the new update or questions. I’ll continue to test and do low level clean up and release the official version in a few days if nobody reports any issues.

Kind regards,
Conor