The preferences pane is not arranged correctly

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
randian
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

The preferences pane is not arranged correctly

Post by randian »

The preferences pane has overlapping elements, so it can't be used properly

DVDPedia 6.1 on MacOS 11.1

1) Pop up your preferences pane
2) DIsplay fields
3) See this image, which shows the top of Display Fields obscuring the popup.
4) Also note that the preferences pane window can't be resized, and only General and Style are selectable from the top of the window. The rest of the preferences can only
be selected from the arrow at the top right of the pane. It used to be that all of the different preferences were selectable from the top.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: The preferences pane is not arranged correctly

Post by FineWine »

It is always good protocol to do some house cleaning every once in a while here are some maintenance tasks you could try.

Regular visitors to these forums will know I am big on the following:

1 - When I am updating App's to a new WHOLE number version or upgrading to a new OS version, or I know that there has been a major rewrite of the App such as with the case of all the pedia's for 64 bit technology and Apple's new OS 11.0.0 Big Sur, I do a complete uninstall of the old version prior to update. I achieve this by using a FREE program called AppCleaner which you can download from here. On using this App place a check mark IN ALL the boxes EXCEPT: ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia , which is the second line down from the top. This is where your data base is located. Ensure that is NOT ticked. You will loose your Preference settings though but they only take a couple of minutes to redo. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

2 - These are the Folders and Files that should be in ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia/ .

Covers
InfoTemplates
Plug-ins
Templates

AddMultiple.xml
autofill.xml
backup1Month.*****pd
backup2Months.*****pd
*****pedia Backup.zip
Database.******pd
Database.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd
Pocketpedia.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd-wal

The above entries in blue are Folders do not delete them or their contents.

AND of course do not delete: Database.*****pd OR Pocketpedia.*****pd

NOTE: ***** represents the particular pedia - Book, DVD, CD or Game

The Files with the suffix; .shm & .wal can be deleted as they are changed and recreated automatically again on each starting up of your pedia. You can think of them as a temporary index cache files. The Database and Backup files are self explanatory so not advisable to delete those. The .xml are again a type of index file for your autofill fields and are important so do not delete those two. You can clean these up to some extend within each Pedia's Preferences > Autofill.

3 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 11.0.* Big Sur.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

It is available in many languages and is regularly updated (about once a month).

4 - Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

5 - And finally if your particular pedia is actually crashing do check for the Crash Logs. You can find the relevant logs in your Home folder under: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Send them to Bruji Support: support@bruji.com

AND of course always carry out a general machine BACKUP first. Remember that all the pedia's also have the ability to create individual data base backups: File > Export Collection > Backup > Location of your choice

Hope you find these Tips & Hints helpful :D
randian
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by randian »

How are these things supposed to fix graphics rendering problems?

What does "Clean Duplicates in Fields" actually do?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

randian wrote:How are these things supposed to fix graphics rendering problems?
Isaac Asimov wrote: “Ever since the first computers, there have always been ghosts in the machine. Random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols."

Deleting the pedia app via 'App Cleaner' and then carrying out a systemic clean using Onyx after such an important and huge OS upgrade will help get rid of all those 'ghosts in the machine', the flotsam & jetsam, the detritus of code left floating around that may be forming unexpected protocols like your graphics rendering problems. No one else, as yet to my knowlegde, has reported a similar issue.

I am only trying to help. Conor is a one man band and is raising a young family in a locked down European country devastated by covid19, so bugs and improvements to these excellent programs are going to take time to be rectified.

Merry Christmas and a Happy, Safe and Healthy New Year.
jwoerner
Inductee
Inductee

Post by jwoerner »

Same problem exactly for me. This after a fresh installation of Big Sur on a wiped iMac.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Fixed and in the next update or the beta now. Thank you for the bug report.