Send selection to iWeb no longer relevant

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
FineWine
Site Admin

Send selection to iWeb no longer relevant

Post by FineWine »

Apple ceased development and support of iWeb (iLife) in 2010. Plus it was a 32 bit software and now all Apple software, including OS, is 64 bit.

So my point here is that the present pedia's "Send selection to iWeb" facility and capability should either be removed from all pedia's menu's or perhaps be relabelled as "Send selection to a Web Page". Not knowing the coding behind this request, but I am assuming it was very much iWeb centric therefore if this ability was to be changed it would properly have to be in a generic type template format that could be accepted by most common web page creation programs.

What are forum members opinion on this??
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Send selection to iWeb no longer relevant

Post by DanThe »

Thank you FineWine for pointing this out. :)

I had never noticed that menu option and I had to lookup iWeb. From what I understand, iWeb was a web creation app which could publish to MobileMe which was discontinued/shutdown by Apple on June 30, 2012.

All that to say that I agree that it should be removed or replaced by "Export selection to HTML/web page" where a browse locations dialog would appear to choose where to save the HTML code. I do not know how complicated replacing it would be. HTML alone is OK but adding CSS code and other standards to the mix could present chalenges.

This not something that I would use on a regular basis although it is a cool feature. Also worth noting, most internet providers no longer include personal web space where web pages can be saved and published. I check on my provider's site and the closest thing to this is Web Hosting packages for Small Business service for a monthly fee.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I concur that 10 years after an app has been terminated, it's time for the menu item to go. Done for the next update, stay tuned for users on MacOS 10.10 to complain and ask where the "Sent to iWeb" menu has gone.

This was the early days of sharing, when personal web pages did exist with your ISP provider. It should not be replaced with a Tweet menu. That said the HTML export is alive and well under the "File -> Export" menu. As mentioned it's quite complex and better kept there under a sheet, instead of what would be a quick share menu. iWeb had a nice ability that you could email the contents of iWeb as one of those Mail Templates, like the ones still in use for birthdays.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Thanks Conor. Looking forward to the next update.

As for the consequences of removing the iWeb menu, the saying is that you can not please everyone. Complaining about the sun coming up tomorrow will not stop it from doing so. And last, change (good or bad) is the one constant in the world.

Cheers! :D
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Agree :D