Bookpedia BibTex Export corrupted?

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Bookpedia BibTex Export corrupted?

Post by OogieM »

I'm trying to export a collection as a BibTeX file for importing into Zotero and then eventually linked into my Obsidian vault with notes on each book and highlights if they are kindle books.

I did a small subset of books as a smart collection in Bookpedia to verify the procedure.

Unfortunately this small subset generates the following error when I import the BibTeX file into Zotero on the 4th Book and then no further books are imported.

Code: Select all

line 16, column 20: Expected "$", "$$", "\\", "\\]", "{", "{\\", "{\\verb", [^\^,_,$,{,},\\], or [_,\^] but "}" found.

@book{,
    abstract = {A black sheep’s wool cannot be dyed.

A black sheep is 100 percent, authentically original. 
I'm running 6.2.1 Bookpedia on a Mac Catalina system.

Only thing I've noticed is that the 3 books that did import did not have a price in the price column and all the ones that did not import had a price formatted as $xx.xx in the price field. I have over 3000 books in my Bookpedia database and most of them have prices added. I can't find any other reason for the issue but I could be missing something.
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Re: Bookpedia BibTex Export corrupted?

Post by OogieM »

I can now verify that any book that has a price in the price column will not export correctly.

Any deas on when it might owork?

Deleting all the prices is significant, sicne I have over 3K books and about half have prices listed.
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Post by OogieM »

Can someone else please test the export and see if they are seeing the same issue?

I'd really like to find out what I can do in this case.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

As this is a very edge case please email: support@bruji.com with as much detail as you can.

Cheers
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Post by OogieM »

I have done that, got no answer. I again hit it and have re-sent the bug report with another example. The error happens on import into Zotero and the Zotero folks say that Bookpedia is not properly formatting the $ character to standards and that's why it's giving an error on input.
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Post by OogieM »

Circling back as I still have no response to the bug report and the issue canbe confirmed with any book that has a $ in the price field.
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Post by OogieM »

Bumping this issue.

I have verified that in all cases where there is a $ in the price field of a book I cannot get a BibTex export to funciton properly.

This is still the same on Mac os Ventura

Here is the error message

Import errors found:

- line 32, column 19: Expected "$", "$$", "\\", "\\\\", "\\]", "\n", "\r", "{", "{\\", "{\\verb", Optional Horizontal Whitespace, Optional Whitespace, [^\^_${}\\], or [_\^] but "}" found.

```
@book{,
   abstract = {Now the #1 Amazon Bestseller in 'Home & Garden' and 'Cleaning, Caretaking & Relocating' and bigger, better and beautifully illustrated.

Sometimes organizing your home just feels too overwhelming.

The closets are jam-packed...
There's no room in the garage for another box...
And the clutter just keeps piling up...

Step back from the chaos and create a plan!

Plans are at their most effective when they feel like they're achievable.
That means breaking up a large-scale project into smaller, bite size, pieces.
This twelve-month guide can help you have a completely organized home in a year.
(Of course, if you're feeling motivated you can push through the plan faster)Organizing the house with simple storage solutions and decluttering methods so you will have a tidy home with no mess!

Starting with that incredible twelve-month plan, and following with unmissable decluttering tips and advice for you and the whole family, including:
Top Five Clutter KillersHow to Clean Any Room At Lightning SpeedPersonalized Cleaning ChecklistsThe Essential Three Tier SystemIdeas to Create Event, Errand and Chore ChartsSecrets of Organized FamiliesTen Tools Everyone Needs To Get and Stay OrganizedHow to Help Children Get OrganizedStorage Solutions for Your HomeKitchen Organization TipsLaundry Room Storage SolutionsStrategies for an Organized Office or Den...and more!

Plus all purchasers of this book are entitled to download home cleaning checklists and planning sheets absolutely free!

Buy your copy of Get Organized! and make a permanent difference to your life and home today.},
   address = {},
   author = {Colette Leigh},
   edition = {Kindle Edition},
   editor = {},
   isbn = {},
   lcc = {},
   location = {},
   month = {02},
   note = {},
   price = {$6.99},
   publisher = {3D4T},
   series = {},
   size= {},
   title = {Get Organized! Your 12 Month Home Clutter Killer Guide : 2nd Edition (Revised) : Organizing The House, Decluttering And How To Clean Your Home To Perfection (Gleam Guru Book 1)},
   year = {2012}
   }
@book{,
   abstract = {Noah Wolf is one of the world's most deadly assassins, completely devoid of emotion and conscience. These factors, which others would consider to be handicaps, allow him to evaluate situation instantly, and from a purely logical standpoint. His decisions and actions are never tainted by emotion or feelings, which frees him from any risk of fear or guilt.

When Team Camelot is handed an unusual mission to rescue the abducted daughter of a foreign president, Noah and the rest go into it with confidence, and are quickly successful. Back home, they are ready to celebrate, but something doesn't feel right. The mission was too easy, and there are indicators that someone may have discovered who they are and tracked them back to Neverland. Noah's house is entered while the team is away, and he is unable to shake the feeling that the mission was nothing but a ruse to expose E & E.

It doesn't take long for him to decide that they must return to the field, their new mission to track down a Russian counterpart of their own Allison Peterson. Nicolaich Andropov has marked Noah for termination, so Noah decides to use himself as bait to draw the man into a trap. Unfortunately, Andropov is known as a ghost, a man whose appearance is unknown, able to move in absolute secrecy and remain several steps ahead of any who pursue him. When Noah fails to recognize this fact, Sarah becomes a hostage and pawn in a battle to the death.

There's only one tiny chance to save her, but it will mean Noah must go unarmed and alone to meet his nemesis. The game is on, with his own life and Sarah's as the prize.},
   address = {},
   author = {David Archer},
   editor = {},
   isbn = {},
   lcc = {},
   location = {},
   month = {07},
   note = {},
   price = {$11.99},
   publisher = {},
   series = {},
   size= {},
   title = {Lone Wolf (Noah Wolf Book 2)},
   year = {2016}
   }
@book{,
   abstract = {Framed for crimes he did not commit, he is sentenced to death by his own country...Noah Wolf is quickly becoming one of the top names in the world of espionage. With well over 1 million copies sold and thousands of five star reviews, this perennial USA Today bestselling series will be sure to keep your heart pounding well into the night.After witnessing the murder-suicide of his parents as a child, Noah suffers from a form of PTSD that has left him without emotion, without a conscience and without the ability to function as a normal human being. With the help of childhood friends, he learns to watch others around him and mimic their behaviors, in order to conceal the fact that his mind operates more like a computer that he has spent years programming. That program is what allows Noah to pass himself off as normal, by establishing parameters of right and wrong that are completely inviolable to him.As a young adult, Noah finds structure in the U.S. Army, and becomes an excellent and exemplary soldier, but when his self-imposed programming is put to the test by the murderous acts of the superior officer, Noah finds himself quickly made expendable, charged with crimes he did not commit and facing the possibility of execution. Without any reasonable hope for a reprieve, Noah's logic-based mind accepts his fate.Sometimes, though, things are not all as they seem to be, and Noah is offered one chance to save himself. It was his disability, his lack of emotion, that made him the soldier he had become. Now, an ultrasecret organization known as E & E wants Noah's talents, offering him a chance to survive…As the most deadly assassin the world has ever known.Fans of Child, Flynn, Clancy, and others will find common cause with the man who must do what it takes to keep his country safe. David Archer's breakthrough series is rampant with action, betrayal, politics, and yes...death. If that makes you feel all warm and cozy inside, be sure to give this series a shot!},
   address = {},
   author = {David Archer},
   editor = {},
   isbn = {},
   lcc = {},
   location = {},
   month = {01},
   note = {},
   price = {$9.99},
   publisher = {},
   series = {},
   size= {},
   title = {Code Name Camelot (Noah Wolf Book 1)},
   year = {2018}
   }
@book{,
   abstract = {A rock band’s reunion is looking more like a farewell tour in a captivating mystery by New York Times bestselling and award-winning crime master Max Allan Collins.No sooner do Hot Rod and the Pistons reunite for their induction into the Iowa Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame, than two band members take a final bow. Both alleged suicides. A tragic way to go out. A bum way for one-hit wonders to be remembered. But it’s Labor Day weekend. The show must go on.With replacements at the ready, the Pistons are back on home turf to headline the first ever Rock and Country Music Fest. Police Chief Krista Larson and her father, Keith, are there listening. And watching. Because they suspect there may be more to the band members’ untimely deaths than anyone else can see.As Krista and Keith navigate the investigation, a dark picture of the band’s rocky history begins to take center stage. As betrayal, revenge, and blackmail start playing out in the present, the father-daughter team fear that this encore may be the band’s finale.},
   address = {},
   author = {Max Allan Collins},
   editor = {},
   isbn = {},
   lcc = {},
   location = {},
   month = {03},
   note = {},
   price = {$15.95},
   publisher = {Thomas & Mercer},
   series = {},
   size= {},
   title = {Girl Can't Help It:Krista Larson Book 2},
   year = {2020}
   }
@book{,
   abstract = {An abandoned church in a village set in time - the ideal setting for murder. Detective Inspector Tremayne and his sergeant, Clare Yarwood, are hard pushed to solve the crime and to stay alive.
‘Do you believe in spontaneous human combustion?’ Detective Inspector Keith Tremayne asked.
‘Not me. I’ve read about it. Who hasn’t?’ Sergeant Clare Yarwood answered.
‘I haven’t,’ Tremayne replied which did not surprise his young sergeant. In the months they had been together, she had come to realise that he was a man who had little interest in the world. A cigarette in his mouth, a beer in his hand and a murder to solve was about the happiest she ever saw him, and even then, he could hardly be regarded as one of life’s most sociable. And as for reading? The occasional police report, an early morning newspaper, the back pages for the racing results.},
   address = {},
   author = {Phillip Strang},
   editor = {},
   isbn = {},
   lcc = {},
   location = {},
   month = {09},
   note = {},
   price = {$14.99},
   publisher = {},
   series = {},
   size= {},
   title = {Death Unholy (DI Tremayne Thriller Series Book 1)},
   year = {2017}
   }
```
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Post by OogieM »

Another couple of months. Still the same bug. I have reported the bug and have details on how to recreate it but it's been over a year now and no useful responses.

Any help from anyone?