Moving items between collections

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
blackp
Contributor
Contributor

Moving items between collections

Post by blackp »

Hi Conor & Nora,

Apologies if this is explained somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the support pages.

I keep a collection in my DVD Library called "DVDs ordered" and I put all the movies I order into that collection. When the DVD arrives (sometimes months later) I want to move the DVD to either my Movie Collection or TVSeries Collection etc. and I can't find a way to do it in one step.

The advantage of this is when I search in the top level Library in PocketPedia I can see all the DVDs I have and those I have ordered in one place which stops me from purchasing something that my wife may have pre-ordered for example.

I can drag and drop the entry to the final collection but that only creates another copy in that collection leaving the original in the "DVDs ordered" collection. I've tried modifier keys which work with most OSx drag and drop actions but they don't seem to help. Neither is there a right click "move" option.

Have I missed something simple or is this a possible enhancement for the future?

Regards,

Peter
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Moving items between collections

Post by Conor »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the feedback and the exact details about the workflow.

I could add that when the option key is held down items are removed from the selected collection. However, I believe this would be a confusing use of the option key, the option key should not trigger a delete as most users would not expect that behavior. Especially given the ease with which the item can be removed after a drag by pressing the delete key. The same number of key stroke as holding down option and more explicitly connected to the action. This also works for a multiple selection as DVDpedia will maintain the selection after a drag.

Regards,
Conor
515bonner

Post by 515bonner »

I have a similar situation that over the years everything went into a general DVD collection. Now I want to move some of those (mainly old VHS tapes that were converted to DVD) into their own specific catalog collection. I don't like the idea of just doing a copy paste and then still have the originals in the general collection and the new catalog saying they are a copy. I can do a sort on the genre since all those I want to move I have as "Family" for genre, but that block of some 30 DVDs I would like to move out of the general into it's own catalog without the copy designation. Since this original post is years old, is there some other way of doing this that has been incorporated into the software that I am missing to do this?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Hi and Welcome to these forums.

What is required is to create an entire New Collection and then Exclude that Collection from the main DVD Library Collection.

1 - Select the main DVD Library top of left column. Now holding down the command key ⌘ and select each item you wish to exclude from the main DVD Library.
2 - Right click on the main DVD Library entry at the top of left column and select ‘New Collection from Selection
The selected items will now be moved, not copied, into a new collection.
3 - Give a Name to the collection
4 - Right click on this new collection and select ‘Exclude Collection from Library

And that should be that 😀 Let us know how you get on.
515bonner

Post by 515bonner »

Worked perfectly. Thank you for a great piece of software! Also use your Bookpedia and that also is a lifesaver on my large library collection!
Have a good week!

Rob