Two Auto Fill Suggestions (display and ordering)

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
garynunes
Captain
Captain

Two Auto Fill Suggestions (display and ordering)

Post by garynunes »

I have two suggestions regarding the "Auto Fill" feature:

1) Allow the user to specify the order in which Auto Fill values appear in an Auto Fill menu (e.g., by allowing dragging of the Auto Fill values in the preferences panel Auto Fill lists into desired orders).

2) When typing in a field, dymanically (i.e., while typing) display a popup of auto fill values that currently match the typed entry. Check out the search field of the VersionTracker web site (http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/) to see what I mean.

Regards,
Gary Nunes
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The autofill fields are sorted alphabetically (most of them at least). The pop-up window when typing sounds great but will probably be a while in coming since that might be complicated to implement. But thanks for the idea.
garynunes
Captain
Captain

Post by garynunes »

The autofill fields are sorted alphabetically (most of them at least).
Sometimes that's the problem <g>. Also, "somewhat alphabetic" can be annoying. Having the autofill lists be alphabetic by default is reasonable but allowing the user to put the important list items (from the user's perspective) at the top would also be useful. For example, I can imagine an autofill list that has a button near it that says "Alphabetize" but that also allows one to drag and drop list elements wherever one wants.
The pop-up window when typing sounds great but will probably be a while in coming since that might be complicated to implement.
Could be right. I could only find one code source reference regarding the technique. I haven't evaluated it and have no idea whether it might be helpful but here it is anyway: http://numata.aquasky.jp/programming/co ... p_en.shtml

Regards,
Gary Nunes
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

autoload autofill

Post by gottadoit »

I just updated to DVDpedia 3.0.3 and either it was user drain bamage or I lost all my autofills. I have a huge selection of DVDs and it would be great if it had an option to autoscan the GENRE,, Ratiings, Studio, and other fields from the current collection to auto-populate this fields (as an option). This would also apply to other *pedias where relevant. Just a suggestion.

Oh, I loved 2.X but 3.X is even better. Thanks for all your hardwork.

Gottadoit
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Hi Gottadoit,

thanks for letting us know about the autofill problem. It was caused by a fix to a Panther bug we did earlier.
We've fixed the bug and done a silent update so other users won't run into the same problem. Sorry about your autofills...

Nora
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gottadoit »

Nora wrote:Hi Gottadoit,

thanks for letting us know about the autofill problem. It was caused by a fix to a Panther bug we did earlier.
We've fixed the bug and done a silent update so other users won't run into the same problem. Sorry about your autofills...

Nora
Np problem. You folks are incredibly on top of everything. I would expect to be paying a huge support contract for help like this and still it would be not as nice or pleasant. Thanks again. No need to respond. Have a great day.

A Very Happy Customer.
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Why the IAFD plugin was broken.

Post by gottadoit »

I blew away everything and I re-installed. It still did not work.

Now the problem that caused it all to break. My umask is 027.

The awards and iafd plug-ins go into my ~/Library/Application Support/Plug-ins directory with my uid as the owner and my group as the files/directories group but there is no write access for the group or "others".

Next, I moved the IAFD plugin to the /Application/DVDpedia.app/Contents/Plug-ins directory. I then did a:

Code: Select all

chgrp -R admin .
It still did not work. So I cd to /Application/DVDpedia.app and executed:

Code: Select all

chmod -R g+w .
And now all files in /Application/DVDpedia.app were of my uid and group admin and were writeable by group admin.

Now, the plug-in works. My umask was affecting things. I disallow write by group and no access to others in my file creation mask.

This is a bug as my umask is not so unusally but that was the fix. THe installer needs to reset (override) the umask (if that is possible) before installing.

Anyway, there you go.

Take care.

GottaDoIt
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for letting us know. At least now we know why it was happening and have a fix if it should ever happen again.

Nora
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gottadoit »

Nora wrote:Thanks for letting us know. At least now we know why it was happening and have a fix if it should ever happen again.

Nora
The problem isn't the DMG installer but the plug-in installation. The pluyg-ins com as a zip file and when I unzip it with Stuffit on my Desktop they extract with the wrong permissions. So either the plug-in installer needs to make sure that group is writeable or explicitly chmod(2) the files during copy or before moving (or use some Mac Framework method, or attribute).

On the Mac, everyone has their own group so my umask is overkill and I my machine is not shared so it is even more overkill but I have used that umask since the days of Version 7 Unix.

You may want to move this mini-thread to its own thread or to the bug forum because it is not a feature request per se but I am the only person that had the problem that I can tell via search so it may be unneccessary.

Have a great weekend, Nora. I hope it is ga orgeous Spring in Barcelona.

Gotta