CDpedia: merging or combining cds

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
nick
Inductee
Inductee

CDpedia: merging or combining cds

Post by nick »

I'd like to be able to select 2 or more cds and merge them into a single entry if possible.

See, I have a ton of Frank Zappa albums, and easily 30% of them are on 2 or more discs. This makes managing them something of a pain.

Heres what I've been doing:

FreeDB returns 'Uncle Meat (Disc 1)' with all info (minus art) like track names and durations etc. I do the same for disc 2 and so I've got 2 entries for 1 album.

Or I can do an amazon search, and it will return 'Uncle Meat' with a combination of the 2 cds, only now its missing track lengths (duration). After this I can do 'Get advanced info...' from FreeDB, but it will only fill in the first cd's worth of track durations.

Obviously a large part of this is me being super anal (thanks OCD!).

I guess what I'd be after is a way to copy tracks (and other info) from 1 album into another, and starting numbering the tracks where the first disc left off.

Don't get me wrong, I love CDpedia (beats the hell out of that other one) and this is just a minor nitpick.[/list]
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That a good point, I am sure others might be interested in merging the information for a dual disc set into a single entry. I will look at the possibility of creating a menu command for merging entries track information.
audiojack
Inductee
Inductee

Multiple disc sets

Post by audiojack »

I would also love to have a way to somehow link or merge multiple disk sets. Currently I have all the disks in individualy, with the first disk of the dual set marked as having 2 cd's in the number of field, and for the second disk I leave that field blank, so I have a correct total number of disks at the bottom of the screen.

It would be cool to, at least in the cover art view, to only see one cover for the two disk set, and then when you got info it would show info on both disks. Maybe a folder sort of triangle on the left to open up info for multiples in list view sort of thing?

An off topic feature request would be to preview downloaded info before hitting ok. When an amazon or other search returns multiples, some have covers, some don't, and I find myself choosing one, tabbing to main, seeing no cover art, tabbing back to advanced, searching again, selecting another choice, and so on... very tedious. And sometimes to clear out incorrect data, I just have to hit close and scan the cd again to start all over...

Otherwise, the program works great. Only another 300 or so disks to catalog ;-)
letterten
Inductee
Inductee

Linking/Merging CD Sets

Post by letterten »

There are a lot out there -- and in my collection. I agree here -- there needs to be a way to link 'em together.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You can link Pedia entries together like this: open the info view either by pressing the i button in the toolbar or choosing 'Info View' from the Window menu. Then select all the entries you want to link to each other, hold down the option key and drag the entries over the info view. Depending on the info view template you've chosen, you'll see the links to the other entries right there. (Otherwise you can access them inside the Edit window/Links tab.)