Tip for faster searches in dvdpedia

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
ticocats

Tip for faster searches in dvdpedia

Post by ticocats »

I love this program, but find the search function to be a bit slow, especially if more than one result is returned, and TV shows can be difficult to locate. A faster way for me: use the search function on Amazon's own site, locate the correct DVD and go to the Amazon page for it, then copy the UPC -- the number/letter combination which appears immediately AFTER "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/" and paste it into the dvdpedia search box which appears when you add a title.

Example (based on the US Amazon.com):

Search DVD's for: Capote (recent US movie)

Click on the correct result -- the URL begins with:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E33VWW/

Enter B000E33VWW in the dvdpedia search box and the correct DVD appears. Add it to your collection and then, if you wish, use the Advanced/Get Advanced Info for Selection option to add or substitute info from other sources such as IMDB.

Apologies if this tip appears somewhere else.

Did I mention that I love this program?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for posting this tip - I'm sure users will appreciate it. An even faster way of dealing with Amazon (if you're using Safari) is to simply drag the URL into the DVDpedia table view. That'll extract the ASIN (the number you're copy pasting) automatically and start a search for it. Make sure you drag the URL icon though, not the actual address.

The same trick also works for IMDb.

Nora
ticocats

Post by ticocats »

It works! Thanks a million, Nora.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can even drag the images straight from the results page in Amazon, as they also contain the link that has an Asin in them.