user defined fields

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
leodbil
Contributor
Contributor

user defined fields

Post by leodbil »

Hi,

I've been attempting to use BPedia as a software organizer.
For storing serials, info, links to sites, screen shots, links to
the app, links to user groups and lists for the apps. For instance
I can ad Eclipse.app and include links to their homesite, EclipseZone, SDN, etc etc. Your built
in browser is great for adding links. This is all very cool. I know
BP was not really designed for this, but after looking around for
an app that is dedicated to organizing software, I keep coming
back to BP. The only thing I would like to have is; more user defined fields.

Is there a way to define more fields in BP?

Are there any plans to make a app-Pedia?

Thanks
Bill
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Bill,

Both of your suggestions are so good that we have been thinking about them for quite a while. On adding more custom fields we are looking at making all the applications more flexible so that the limit is not set by us to four or six or eight but can grow to an unlimited amount. Flexibility in applications is one of the tougher things to program, and although the Pedias excel at that this, it is the reason this feature is not yet around the corner.

As for an app-Pedia we have been unsure since there is no lack of application tracking apps and they all seem to fill their users' needs. Version Tracker Pro seemed to be the app of choice previously among other customers who have also subverted DVDpedia or Bookpedia to be an app-Pedia. However since you did try other alternatives we would love to hear more feedback as what you found lacking in other apps and what would be the key features and fields for you in app-Pedia.

You can't add more fields, but you can take over all the Bookpedia fields for your own use of which there are 56: 41 word fields, 6 dates fields, 4 that accept line breaks, 4 check-boxes and a my rating. The only real restriction is that the ones that are dates must stay dates, as the program translates anything typed into them into a date, sorts them as dates and actually won't let you type in something that is not a date. Some of the word fields are meant for numbers but this is not mandatory, however it is useful to keep numbers in them as you get the running total at the bottom for those fields.

Anyway, a useful thing to do, is to go into the applications bundle with ctrl-click on the Bookpedia icon, "show package contents" and navigate to /Contents/Resources/English.lproj/RealTitles.strings. Open this file in a text editor and translate the right side to what you would like each field to be. This will display those names in the column headers, the info view and also when doing an export to a HTML template. It will make Bookpedia feel more like app-pedia. Keep a copy of this file after modifying it in another location so that you can drop it in again when you upgrade the program. One of the places this change will not reflect is the edit/add window. This takes a little more work and you have to use Interface Builder, a free developer program. If you want to go this far, let us know as you will need a custom plug-in from us for Interface Builder to be able to open the Bookpedia files.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback,
Conor
leodbil
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leodbil »

Hi Connor,

Thanks for your reply, and all the tips.
However since you did try other alternatives we would love to hear more feedback as
what you found lacking in other apps and what would be the key features and fields for you in app-Pedia.
Actually, I been searching for an app and havent tried out any.Not many of the ones I've
read about fit the bill or are only availabl on Windows. This URL comes the closest to a feature set I'd be interested in:
http://www.fnprg.com/softcatplus/index.html

Windows only though. I used BookCat on my windows box before switching to mac. That was a
very good program also. It had a for designer in it where you could completely redesign all the fields,
the order they are in, the size of the boxes etc. etc. I think BookCat/ SoftCat is built on MS Access. I dont
know enough about computers to really know all the implications involved between designing on Access and the
way you guys do it.

I checked out Version Tracker Pro by
way of your mention of it. Pretty cool...didnt know it existed before. Alot of nice features but....
as of yet I havent found any way to the store extra information i'd like to keep at hand. Yojimbo looks like another
interesting option but I havent given it a trial as of yet.

Another option I've been kicking around is building my own. I've been taking a java class at
school this semester. My first attempt at programming anything.....It is fun.

Any way I'll sit down over the next couple of days use the programs and take some notes and
brainstorm a complete dream feature list. And shoot it off to you if you like.

Thanks for the info on how to change the column headers, that is pretty handy and simple to do.
Also, I wouldnt mind mucking around with changing the edit/add windows, sounds like a good
learning experience. I have all the Apple Dev tools on my computer.

Biil
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Here are the files to install to be able to open the nib files.

The first one is our framework, you will need to unzip it and then move Pediabase.framework to /Library/Frameworks/. (If you don't have a Frameworks folder create one).

Second is the DotMacKit.framework needs to be inside Interface Builder local Frameworks folder. Unzip it and move it to /Developer/Applications/InterfaceBuilder.app/Contents/Frameworks/ (Here you will need to create the Frameworks folder. You will also have to use "Show Package Contents" to get past InterfaceBuilder.app )

Then our PediaPalette.palette as usual unzip and then place in /Developers/Palettes. Open InterfaceBuilder, open the preferences and head for the palettes tab, click the add button and select PediaPalette in /Developers/Palettes.

Now you will be able to open any of the nib files in Bookpedia to change them. Go to Bookpedia.app do "Show Package Contents" and navigate to Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib open that resource and open the "Add Panel" icon inside that nib. You can now double click the titles and start typing to change them. Save and re-launch Bookpedia. Like the RealTitles.string file it's best to keep a copy of the nib file after you changed it, so you can drop it in in future updates. Although if the update is a serious update where we change something in the nib file and you like that feature you will have to redo the title changes on the new nib.
leodbil
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leodbil »

Thanks connor,

Sounds like fun. Unfortunatly my mac is in the shop right now, display problems. Hopfully these links are permanent. I should have it back...
soon I hope.

Bill
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The links will stick around, no worries. They are in the temp folder cause it does double duty as the miscellaneous folder as well. :D