Printing to PDF

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Printing to PDF

Post by iBoy »

I want to print my movie collection to a pdf file to share it with my friends. Anything that can be printed can be printed to a pdf file. The advantage with pdf is that it is searchable. If I could make one page for each entry, I had a fully searchable database that I easily could share with others.

The problem is: how can I print pages separated with one entry per page? I can make an HTML template with one entry per page, but I cannot print more than one page from my web browser. And if I make one long list, with all entries on the same page, it would be impossible to cut or separate these correctly when printing.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Go with the second option of creating one long list and at the end of each entry in your template include the CSS page-break:always to force a printed page for each entry.

Code: Select all

<div style="page-break-after:always"></div>
Don't get fancy with avoid and other properties as they are not supported by Safari.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

Thank you very much! The code worked perfectly. But one HTML page with all the entries turns pretty unmanageable on large collections. And the pictures are not as sharp on the pdf file as on the web page. So maybe this wasn't the best idea I've had after all.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Be sure to scale the images using DVDpedia to the set size of your template. DVDpedia is much better at scaling than the web browser. You can set these values directly in your template with:

Code: Select all

<meta name="image-export" content="yes" /> <!-- Export images always -->
<meta name="image-width" content="200" /> <!-- I made these up -->
<meta name="image-height" content="260" />
<meta name="image-compression" content="1.0" /> <!-- No compression -->
Here is more information.