Windows Program?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
acoppock
Inductee
Inductee

Windows Program?

Post by acoppock »

Let me say right off the bat that I am a good Mac User, I spread the good word as often as I can. I've been trying to get my father to convert to the Mac for years to no avail. He's unwilling.

I showed him bookpedia because he wants to catalogue his CD collection. I looked around for programs for windows that would work as well as CDpedia, but came up with the ugliest, user-hating programming possible. Its an ugly world out there in windows-land.

Anyway, I was wondering, IF a gun were to your head, and you needed a pedia program on windows, what would you choose?

I'm sure this question has been addressed a million times, but I couldn't find a good answer on the net.

Thanks!
Midori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Midori »

I am afraid the answer is None (for CDs). There is DVD profiler for DVDs, but... I had extensively looked on the web for such a thing for my dad (>5'000 CDs) last year. That was one of the argument that made him switch to Apple...

Midori...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Midori is correct PC switchers come to us from DVD Profiler for DVDs and those with CDs and books come from Readerware or Music Collector. But your description of the PC programs sounds like you are aware of Readerware and Music Collector already.
Ronin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ronin »

Is there a Windows application which can accept the DVDpedia data?

One family member is a Windows type and I would like to be able to install something on one of their boxes which would allow me to share the index of DVDs that I have accumulated in DVDpedia...and no they will not change to a Mac.

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

no they will not change to a Mac
That is quite unfortunate for them. :wink:

Almost any product on window, including the popular DVD Profiler, will accept a coma or tab delimited list to import; you can create this export under the text export options. Including the covers might become a bit trickier as these programs might not be designed to deal with a cover import simultaneously with a text import. Depending on what your family member needs, you can create an HTML export and share it with them. They'd be able to browse the collection in Explorer as you have exported it. You could send them two or three exports, one indexed by title, one by genre...so on and so on.

Other than that I'm unable to help you as I am not very knowledgeable with Windows applications, and all other solutions require some Windows research. On our side we strive to make DVDpedia's data as open as possible, not only with the exports but the database format is in XML, so any program that can handle XML can import every last bit of data from DVDpedia.
Ronin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ronin »

Conor,

Thanks for the tips. I will dig around some more. Knowing that the export is in "standard" formats helps.

Richard