Modifying DVDpedia XML

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
drjohncmac
Captain
Captain

Modifying DVDpedia XML

Post by drjohncmac »

As my own follow-up to my question about a very collection ... I've successfully imported the 3,400+ movies into DVDpedia, let the auto-update feature fill in the Summary and other fields, modified a couple of hundred DVDs for the appropriate Location Field - Custom Field One.

I then backed up the DVDpedia database to the XML format, and generated an XSL format file.

I'm in the process of writing a program which will automatically update the Location field in the DVDpedia XML file from the DVDProfiler exported XML file.

I should then be able to re-import the DVDpedia XML file back into DVDpedia and voila!! -- I don't have to type 3,000 location fields, and I can use the proper summary field (to which I did extensive editing in Profiler).

See any reason why this shouldn't work?

Thanks for any input -- drjohnc
drjohncmac
Captain
Captain

Post by drjohncmac »

Funny to answer one's own post but the answer is ... yes!

I programmed a script which updates the info.xml export from DVDpedia from the collection.xml export from DVDProfiler, which contains my requisite Location values, and also the Summary field values I want to use.

The file re-loaded into DVDpedia and works without errors so far with some limited testing.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I was going to mention that you don't even have to do the export and import. You can modify the XML database file directly while DVDpedia is not running. ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/info.xml. I am also in the process of updated DVDpedia to have a more robust import from DVD Profiler and will let you know on your other post when I have done so.