Playing Movie Trailers from HDD

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
drjohncmac
Captain
Captain

Playing Movie Trailers from HDD

Post by drjohncmac »

I have over 800 movie trailers stored on a HDD which are compatible with QT. Within a WEB page, I have used both the <a and <embed> methods of playing the movies.

Can I put a reference to the movie, say, \\Movies\Trailers\***.mov, in the link field and use the [Link:Name] or [Link:URL] tag to reference the tailer when the collection is exported to HTML?

Thanks for any insights

John
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Although the link section would work that way in the internal info view it won't when exported to HTML. The program removes any links that are stored on the local hard drive. If the link is already to an online location the [Links:URL] tag will work. Otherwise, I would use one of the custom fields to store the movie name. Then you can build a template that has "\\Movies\Trailers\[Key:CustomOne].mov" to create the link. If you already have all 800 movies linked to the files. You can use some kind of script or text search and replace to subtract the movie title from the link of an entry and add it as a CustomOne field. There are several examples on the forum of manipulating the XML to add information. What you want to get in the XML for the entry is a tag that reads:

Code: Select all

<key>CustomOne</key>
<string>MovieFileName</string>
As with everything electronic be sure to backup your database file ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/info.xml before altering it. Or backup the entire DVDpedia data folder to include the covers.