[DVDpedia] Feature requests

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
DocWatson
Inductee
Inductee

[DVDpedia] Feature requests

Post by DocWatson »

Greetings and felicitations. I have been playing around with a free version of DVDpedia, and like it :D, but IMHO it has a few limitations (for my purposes). Specifically, I would like:

• The region menu to automatically change to "0" when non-DVD media is selected.
• A catalog number field (which is important to me because it helps differentiate between releases of the same movie or series).
• A volume number field (for single discs within a series)
• Multiple title fields (I principally collection Japanese animation, and anime series by their nature tend to have several titles—the original kanji/kana title, transliterations, translations, abbreviations/contractions, nicknames, and so on); half a dozen would be nice. (Only that many... :wink: )

Previous requests to which I add my vote:

• The ability to add sites from which to add information.
• Support for multiple region codes.

For this forum, it would be nice to have a "stickied" thread compiling all of the feature requests for each of the 'pedias—at least as an interim measure until you can get the request/bug tracker up and running. This would of course require a large amount of work, but might save you some as well.

Edit: Another feature/field to add—whether or not a series is complete (in your collection or in release). (I am aware of the ability to rename the fields, but it seems to me that it would be a bit of kludge to fit everything that I've requested into the existing format.)
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ScottH »

One of the many things I love about DVDPedia is its ability to have custom fields, as opposed to dozens and dozens of built-in fields that may only appeal to a handful of people. So I'd prefer to have that custom field feature expanded, rather than more built-in fields added.

There should be more than 4 custom fields, we should be able to choose the type of any of them, and set defaults, and we should be able to rename them easily. (I'd even like the ability to de-activate built-in fields I'm not using, to remove screen clutter--I probably only use half of them. I think there's a way to do this by editing the program files, but it would be nice to build it into Preferences.)

I think that's a MUCH better solution than trying to come up with fields that match the way every single user thinks about organizing their collections. More flexibility is what makes the Pedias stand out far ahead of their better-publicized competitors.
KiplingCat
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: [DVDpedia] Feature requests

Post by KiplingCat »

DocWatson wrote: Specifically, I would like:

• The region menu to automatically change to "0" when non-DVD media is selected.
To which I would add having the "# Discs" field change to "# Tapes" for VHS, MiniDV, and 8mm Media and "DVD Release" change to "VHS Release" for VHS and "Date Recorded" for MiniDV and 8mm Media. Alternately, you could keep the "DVD Release" field (and populate it for those VHS which have also been released on DVD) and add "VHS Release" or "Date Recorded" where appropriate.
DocWatson wrote: • Multiple title fields (I principally collection Japanese animation, and anime series by their nature tend to have several titles—the original kanji/kana title, transliterations, translations, abbreviations/contractions, nicknames, and so on); half a dozen would be nice. (Only that many... :wink: )
If these could be made, perhaps optionally through Preferences, to scrape the AKA info from IMDB, that would be even better.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

The custom fields are great... however, not every one does warrant an entry in the statistics window. Please add a checkbox next to each custom field setting to indicate whether statistics for this field should be generated.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

Hi all

I have had similar thoughts on this and have suggested a poll in the forum for people to jointly raise feature requests they are interested in.

You can find it here - http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1467