Renaming of downloaded covers/images/linked files

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Renaming of downloaded covers/images/linked files

Post by live4ever »

I'd like to see a preference that will automatically rename the cover images in the app support folder to something more specific.

Expressions like %T-%#-%A could give you title-ISBN-author.jpg for that cover in Bookpedia same for DVDpedia's DVD cover images.

Also I mainly use Bookpedia for managing my eBook/journal collection and this same type of option to rename the linked PDF file (automatically when linked to BP entry) so it's something more descriptive would be outstanding.

Media Rage has a nice expression builder pop-up:

Thanks again for the great apps Conor and Nora, Bruji is probably the best Mac software company I've ever dealt with.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the detailed suggestions, the screen shot is interesting. If you move the PDFs that are linked into the data folder with the move button in the program it will rename them based on the title of the entry. For the cover images we are looking at exposing the internal number as one of the columns or a menu command that will take you to that selected movie cover. The idea is that it shouldn't matter what the covers are called. We are trying to isolate users from the details of the database. Bookpedia should be the point of access for all this: you want a cover, you drag it out of the image well in Bookpedia; you need a PDF, you launch it from Bookpedia. (There is still a lot of improvements that we like to do with the link feature.) We do understand that some users like to go poking into the data folder and we try to keep that in mind. If you tell how having the covers named title-ISBN-author.jpg helps you and what you achieve by this, we can better understand your needs.
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by live4ever »

Well if BP already does write the name to the linked file that's great but I'd like to keep the data folder on an external drive (documents are 40GB+). Will it still work with the linked files out of the app support folder?

For the cover images, I don't really go poking around in the data folder, but when I drag the image out of the pedias it has a filename of say 234.jpg (which is not very descriptive) and there is another step of renaming.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Will it still work with the linked files out of the app support folder?
No, files outside the data folder will remain named as they were when they were linked.
when I drag the image out of the pedias it has a filename of say 234.jpg (which is not very descriptive)
Say no more, with tomorrow's small update it will name them after the title.
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by live4ever »

I just tried this by linking a file and moving it to the Data folder and the name didn't change at all. (by going Edit>Links>Link File>Move)

Also some titles have colons in them (ie. Histopathology Specimens: Clinical, Pathological and Laboratory Aspects) and are not compatible in file names so maybe when renaming you could replace the colons with dashes.

Thanks for the prompt responses as always.