Information from multiple sources?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Information from multiple sources?

Post by Paulson »

Question about DVDPedia:

I find that when I use Amazon for my search site, I get cover art and most info I need, but when I choose IMDB, I get a cast list, which I like, but no cover art. I'm wondering how I can get the best of both.

I attempted to bring up the IMDB cast list, select it, and Copy, then go to the Amazon results, go to the blank area where the cast would be and do a Paste, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I checked DVDpedia help topic "How can I add more than one result from the same search?", but it just shows me the preferences. In fact, the last three topics under "Home > Contents > Adding entries" don't work, and just send you to the preferences instructions.

Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

What works well for me is to use Amazon as the primary search then once you're viewing the result you want to add, hit command-g to search IMDB based on the Title. A drawer will pop up if there are multiple results for you to select the correct result. It will then add any extra information like the cast list. You can do this for movies you have already entered as well - just edit them and hit command-g. Command-g just triggers IMDb under the gear button in the advance tab of the add/edit window. If you'd like to search other sites you will find them there under the menu that pops up.

You can also select a bunch of movies in your collection and run 'get more info' from under the advance menu, but because the process is automated it leaves DVDpedia to guess at the correct result which means if there are multiple results, it does well by using the theatrical release date to match the best results, but do double check movies with short common titles that would have a large number of results.
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Paulson »

Thanks, Conor. I will give that technique a spin.

Don't forget to check the help file. Under "Home > Contents > Adding entries" if you click on the question "How can I add more than one result from the same search?" it just takes the user to an explanation of preferences, which I don't think is what you intended. In fact, the last 3 questions on that page lead to the preferences explanation. Correcting this may save you some time answering questions here.

Again, I appreciate your prompt help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We will definitely fix those links in the help file, thank you for pointing it out.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Actually the Preferences is the intended site the Help file should take you to since it's in the Preferences that you can find the option to 'Return to search window automatically' or 'Add first search result automatically' - two options you want to uncheck when you want to add more than one result from the same search.
But we'll make that clearer in the future. Thanks for pointing it out.