Problems launching DVD Player

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
cjp767

Problems launching DVD Player

Post by cjp767 »

I have video_ts folders stored on my network and use DVDPedia to select and play them in the Apple DVD Player.

It works perfectly when DVD Player is already running.

When DVD Player is not running, and I select "play" or "links" nothing happens.

I remember DVDpedia launching the DVD Player app when selecting "Play"-- am I missing something? Or did I break something?

thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That is how it should work. For the most part DVDpedia tells the Finder to open any linked files. With VIDEO_TS folders it uses an AppleScript since it's a folder and the Finder will only show the contents of the folder.

Here are a few steps you can try to find out what might be happening.

Set the type of the link to VIDEO_TS and try it again.

Try playing with the lines in the script for testing. Inside DVDpedia.app (use ctrl-click to Show Package Contents) and navigate to Contents/Frameworks/Pediabase.framework/Resources/DVDPlayer.applescript.

If you open it in Script Editor you can replace FILE_PATH with "/Users/developer/Desktop/My Movie/VIDEO_TS" and hit run, it should let you know about any errors.

You can remove everything put:

Code: Select all

tell application "DVD Player"
	open VIDEO_TS (POSIX file FILE_PATH as file specification)
	activate
	play dvd
end tell
You can comment the top part out with (* *) and un-comment the bottom part to try out VLC if you have VLC installed.[/b]
cjp767

Post by cjp767 »

Thank you for the input, Connor--

The "links" tab on the "edit" screen is as follows:
Name: DVD
Type: Video_ts
Date: 28 aug 2007

file:///Volumes/Movies/MyMovie/VIDEO_TS

Before I looked at the Apple Script, I put DVDPedia on another computer and gave it a try-- it will launch DVD Player and play my video_ts.

I then re-downloaded DVDPedia and put it on the "faulty" computer-- no change. The DVDPedia versions are identical on both computers-- the "faulty" computer just will not launch DVD Player. It will play video_ts folders properly when DVD Player is already running.

I looked at the Apple script on both computers-- they are identical (since they are both new downloads). So obviously there's a problem with software somewhere else on my "faulty" computer. I'm very confused.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Are the version of DVD Player different on each computer?
cjp767

Post by cjp767 »

Everything is the same (and most recent versions) on both computers:

DVD Player 4.6.5
OS 10.4.10
DVD Pedia 3.6.0

No weird configuration; both applications are stored in the application folder, etc.

Honestly I believe I have an OS issue-- I could reinstall OS 10.4, but I think I will live with my bug for the next month or so until Leopard arrives. If the problem recurs with Leopard, then I'll investigate it further. The new DVD Player is pretty nice, from what I hear.

I do not believe it's a DVD Pedia issue, unless there's a preference file or something I don't know about. Thanks again for your help!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Remove the DVDpedia preference file, it should have no effect but it's worth a try. Have your serial number handy as you will need to re-register if you delete the file. ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.dvdpedia.plist. In the DVDpedia preference there is a check box for open links externally, but this does not affect VIDEO_TS folders as DVDpedia can't open those internally, so it must open them externally, this is more for PDFs, QuickTime, web archives, text and other files that DVDpedia can display.

Your situation is very strange. Open the program Script Editor and paste the code under this paragraph and hit the run button. If DVD Player does not open, you definitely have an OS issue.

activate
end tell
If that works try:

open VIDEO_TS (POSIX file "/Volumes/Movies/MyMovie/VIDEO_TS " as file specification) 
   activate  
end tell
cjp767

Post by cjp767 »

Ok I really don't understand what has happened, but I had to leave things alone for a few days and now everything works normally. It fixed itself. No complaints, but I'm still confused!

I think my old Cube is haunted.

Thank you very much for your help with this strange intermittent problem-- it's definitely not a DVD Pedia issue, that's for sure!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You should have mentioned it was a cube from the beginning, those are magical and do whatever it is they want to do, when they want to do it. :D