Exporting and importing

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Exporting and importing

Post by danco »

Great that 4.0 is now out.

In addition to my main database, which was imported from a custom database and contained very little detailed information, I created a second database called "Recent Additions", shifting between the main database and this one by opening Bookpedia with the Option key.

Recent Additions has its own collection "no cover image".

Exporting "Recent Additions" and then importing it into the main databse is clearly explained.

But will its subcollection "no cover image" also be imported, or do I have to do that separately? If the latter, I suspect I should create a special custom field for it, and then just hide this field after making a collection.

By the way, I don't suppose it is possible to actually delete a field, as distinct from hiding it. Could be useful if one only needed some field temporarily, as in this situation.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

As "no cover image" is most likely an included collection it's entries would be part of the Library of Recent Additions, so the import would bring in the entries put not the extra collection.

Everything you said is correct. Use a custom field to mark the books to send send to the new "no cover image" collection after import. You can easily set and also remove the value of that field by selecting all books and pressing edit and using the multiple edit function. (In the new 4.0 version all fields are included, not just those that made sense as was the case with 3.6.)
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Thanks.

Slight question. I note that when editing multiple books, as distinct from editing a single book, there is a checkbox by each field.

My guess is that this box needs to be checked in order for a multiple edit to occur. Is this correct? What happens if the box is not checked?
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

As soon as you begin typing in the text field, the box is checked.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If the box is not checked nothing is changed for that field. The box is needed because you need a way to distinguish from not changing the field to emptying the field; also if all the selected entries have a field that is the same that also shows up and needs to be distinguished; the check marks additionally also makes for great user interface since you can quickly visualize what fields will be changing.