iSight in black and white in Pedias

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
bradandbree
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

iSight in black and white in Pedias

Post by bradandbree »

This may sound very strange, but after downloading the most recent version of DVDpedia and CDpedia today (Wednesday, July 18), the iSight window from my built-in camera in my MacBook Pro is in black and white instead of color when I attempt to add a title through the *pedia app. It's still in color from within PhotoBooth, iChat, iMovie, and a widget called Mirror, so it's not the camera, and the problem persists even after a restart, after a forced shutdown, and after resetting the System Management Unit (SMU). I also downloaded and played with iGlasses after searching for a solution online, and it does what it's supposed to but doesn't change the behavior of the camera from within the *pedias.

I have a hard time believing that this is really an issue with DVDpedia or CDpedia, but it just seems too coincidental that these apps are the only things recently changed and the only apps from which I see the problem. Any ideas? By the way, it's a MacBook Pro running 10.4.8 with 1GB RAM, and any other specs can be provided upon request.

Thanks,
-Brad
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You're not seeing ghosts - the iSight code in the Pedias has indeed been changed to black and white. We're upgrading the code right now to work with the new MacBook Pro iSights. They have a different resolution and ratio so we have to update our code accordingly.

Is your MacBook Pro one of the latest ones? If so, we'd appreciate any feedback we could get from you on how the new iSight code is working for you. (We don't actually have one of the latest iSights for testing so this is a bit tricky...) Anyone willing to help us out, please let us know.
bradandbree
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by bradandbree »

Nora wrote:You're not seeing ghosts - the iSight code in the Pedias has indeed been changed to black and white. We're upgrading the code right now to work with the new MacBook Pro iSights. They have a different resolution and ratio so we have to update our code accordingly.
Hi Nora,
Ok, I'm just glad to know that there isn't something wrong with my machine. :D
Nora wrote:Is your MacBook Pro one of the latest ones? If so, we'd appreciate any feedback we could get from you on how the new iSight code is working for you. (We don't actually have one of the latest iSights for testing so this is a bit tricky...) Anyone willing to help us out, please let us know.
Sorry, it's not one of the new ones, otherwise I'd be happy to help out.

Thanks for the quick response,
-Brad
Storm

Post by Storm »

I have one of the new Macbook Pros and would like to help out.

I have tested the ISight Scanning in DVDPedia with a german DVD - it works, although not to well. You have to hold the DVD very "calm", because if you shake only a little bit, the red and green only flickers and the Code will not be recognized.

Sadly the ISight Scanner in Bookpedia dont work with Books - not with my german ones nor with the american paperback books. There is no recognition that there is a code. But i can scan the DVD, as i described earlier.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the information. With the American paperbacks try to look for an EAN in the inside of the front cover instead of the UPCs some have on the back. Once we make changes and need further testing will drop you a note. Thank you for volunteering and congratulation on a brand new computer.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Whoops, I never noticed that there are codes inside of the book :oops:.
Sadly, they also do not work(tested with "a clash of kings").
Additionally I thought about some other Books and was suprised that the scanner recognized "Jpod" really fast - first a wrong ISBN, but after that fast recognition of the right ISBN. I did not know, why the scanner liked this book and did not want to work with the fantasy books, but I have found some accordances between books, which you can scan, if you have a steady arm :wink::
Working:
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... urexa4.jpg

Not Working(Bars are a lighte bit higher, small code on the right)
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... uregt0.jpg

Sorry for the bad qualitiy, but i had to take them with the isight.

Thanks for the congratulations, the Mac is great - and I want to help out, because I am only waiting for a working Isight scanning to buy some Pedias.
bernard
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

new builtin iSight

Post by bernard »

Hi,

I've received my new MacBook Pro last week and the built in iSight doesn't work with BookPedia. The image is Black and White and blurred. It's not possible to have it focusing when close enough to get a good view of the bar code.
zak1013
Inductee
Inductee

Post by zak1013 »

I also have a new MacBook Pro and cannot get the iSight to work to scan in my DVDs. This is my first mac and I've never used the program before, so I wasn't sure what exactly my problem was, but I assume it's what others have mentioned too (blurriness, has to be held extremely steady, etc.).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We have to update the programs for the new iSights. Brand new Macs have a better iSight which also includes a different image ratio, we have to update our program to handle that.
mojohand
Inductee
Inductee

Post by mojohand »

Conor wrote:We have to update the programs for the new iSights. Brand new Macs have a better iSight which also includes a different image ratio, we have to update our program to handle that.
any update on this? I downloaded & installed the trial today, and for the life of me, couldn't get my new MacBook Pro to recognize a bar code. Frustrating, indeed--I have hundreds of books and simply won't type in all bar codes--my fingers would fall off! ;)

So, please, any real solution that allows me to put a book into the sightline of my onboard camera quickly to recognize it would be great. Oh, and I also tried shining my USB flexilight to give it maximum contrast, to no avail.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We haven't updated the iSight yet for the new MacBookPro but we will post it here when we have, to let you know.