Registration of DVDPedia?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Wheelie4
Captain
Captain

Registration of DVDPedia?

Post by Wheelie4 »

I bought/registered DVDPedia on August 20th 2007. My macbook had screen problems on Aug 25 requiring it to be shipped in for repairs. When my macbook returned the harddrive had been replaced with a new install of OS X. I reinstalling DVDPedia and input my serial number. Now about every other day It requires me to reinput my serial #. Is there something I can do to correct this? I still have the e-mail receipt sent to me that included my Order #, serial # and SKU#.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It sound as DVDpedia is unable to save it's preference file to ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.dvdpedia.plist. Run a "repair permission" on your hard drive using the program called Disk Utility in your /Applications/Utilities folder.
Wheelie4
Captain
Captain

Post by Wheelie4 »

Conor wrote:It sound as DVDpedia is unable to save it's preference file to ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.dvdpedia.plist. Run a "repair permission" on your hard drive using the program called Disk Utility in your /Applications/Utilities folder.
Ok thanks. I ran "repair permission" as suggested, shutdown and booted up twice and it seems to be holding the serial now. I'll be a bit more sure if it stays after a couple days. Over the next couple days, each time I open DVDPedia I'll look in "~/Library/Preferences/" to see if preference file is their before I open DVDPedia.
Wheelie4
Captain
Captain

Post by Wheelie4 »

Lost the registration again today. Today after booting up I looked to make sure the preference file was still in "~/Library/Preferences/" and it was. Then I opened DVDPedia using Quicksilver as usual and got the unknown serial message again. You can see in the image below.

It's as if DVDPedia is recreating the preference file overwriting the old one. The preference file now shows it being created at the time I opened DVDPedia today.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please email us your preference file after you have registered, so that we can take a look at it and try it out on our system. If we can repeat the bug here with your file we can fix it.
Wheelie4
Captain
Captain

Post by Wheelie4 »

I just emailed my preference file to the support email address imediately after having to reregister it again today. Thanks for the help. :)
Wheelie4
Captain
Captain

Post by Wheelie4 »

I got an e-mail today from Nora explaining my problem.
Thanks for the file, that helped us find the problem. It was a space in the
serial number (right after XXXX, as you can see below):

XXXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX -XXXX

We’ve added a feature to the Pedias so that this won’t happen in the future
and the program will automatically delete any white spaces within the serial
number.
To fix this in your registration, you can hold down the Option key and click
on the DVDpedia menu to register the program again. Here is your correct
serial number for copy pasting:

XXXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
I checked my Order Confirmation e-mail that included me Serial Number and it had the same space in the Serial Number which is where I kept copy&pasting my Serial# from to reregistered. I've reregistered DVDPedia with the space removed so I shouldn't have any more problem. Thanks for your help. :D Conor and Nora.