Question about going to a new machine...

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Question about going to a new machine...

Post by macnorton »

Ok this one has probably been asked before, but I didn't see anything when I searched...so here it goes.

I plan on within the next few weeks, going to a new Macbook, since my Powerbook needs to retire. I have two Pedias installed and I was wonder what is the easiest way to move that data onto the new machine without losing what I have already done.

Any suggestions are welcome.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ScottH »

Having just done this yesterday, I can report that Apple's Migration Assistant works beautifully on DVDpedia items. The very first time I launched DVDpedia on the new iMac, everything was there and worked identically.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

Interesting...is that when you connect the two machine via Firewire/USB? I have never done that before...but that does sound like it might be my best bet.
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

Four times I have used the Migration Assistant to move key files to a new machine. I select the documents, applications, and Library to transfer, and in a while (45 minutes was the longest time), I'm at work again.

The MA lives in the Utilities folder. I think it also works for transferring Windows files to a Mac. You need a Firewire Cable that has two "B" fittings, and will go from the FW port on one machine to a FW port on the other.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The migration assistant will work as DVDpedia by default keeps its information in the standard location of ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. The Migration assistant moves the User's Library as almost everything you associate with your personal use is there; not only the most important - your DVDs - but also address book, mail, calendars, bookmarks, stickies, passwords, etc.

If you want to do it without the migration assistant you would copy the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia from your old computer to your new computer and place it in the same location, while DVDpedia is not running on your new computer. Then copy the program DVDpedia to your applications folder. This would be enough, but you would need to re-register or also bring your preferences for DVDpedia from ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.dvdpedia.plist
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

Wow...thanks for all the info. I have been a PC for years, up until 2002. So I am still learning all the little nooks of the Mac.