Browse by Actors

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
SAMURAi
Contributor
Contributor

Browse by Actors

Post by SAMURAi »

Hello, new user , the program is the BEST, great Job and thanx for this wonderful software!

Now, i want to browse movies by Actor for example or by Director, how can i do that?

( sorry for the bad English im from Greece )

thanx!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You could either sort your table view by the director column or the starring column to browse through or you can use the search field at the top of the main window to search for a specific entry or use the full screen view's 'Same director' or 'Same actor' browse options. (Those options will come up when you select the magnifying glass in the menu at the bottom of the full screen view.)
Bruce
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Bruce »

Outstanding ... but those hidden menus are still a little "hidden" from me :oops: I like this feature and was not aware of it at all ... thanks once again.

bruce
SAMURAi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SAMURAi »

thanx Nora, but there is no column for actors :/ not in the list to add it too.
so what can i do?
and something else... the Custom lists.. how you can make em to connect with the movies? or what you can do with the customs??

thanx!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There is a 'starring' column for actors. But because there are many actors for a movie, to browse by actor you need to search for the actor's name in the top right search field, that will filter the collection to only show movies by that actor; also use the magnifying glass to limit the search to the credits only.

The custom fields are to enter any kind of information that you might want to add to a movie and for which DVDpedia doesn't have a field yet.
SAMURAi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SAMURAi »

thanx Conor, but if i add anything i want for a movie on a custom field, its gonna be saved? whatever i right in the field for a movie... and something else for another movie???
cuz i dont fully understand what to do with custom fields!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The information will be saved with the movie. I think an examples will be easier to clarify. Say three people live in your house and you have all the movies in one DVDpedia database and you want to keep track who the movie belongs to. You would rename "custom 1" in the preferences to "Owner" and then for that custom field you could enter "Me", "Brother", "Sister" or any other owner; each movie would now have an owner associated with it. The use could be anything from regular information such as cinematographer, art director to things that would only have a yes or no answer such as "my favorite" or "has a blue cover". If you can't think of how you would like to use them, it's most likely that you don't need them and can ignore the custom fields.
SAMURAi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SAMURAi »

nice examples.. now i get it thanx :P
hehe..
something else.. if i edit e movie and say that the movie is comedy and i make it comedy, television . now its gonna be on both categories? or its gonna create another category " comedy, television " cuz i want some movies to be in 2 or 3 genres.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can add as many genres as you like to a single movie. It does create a new autofill that is "Comedy, Television" as it treats the value as just text for the purpose of autofilling. But as a user it will be like two categories for when you search for "comedy" it will also match "Comedy, Television". The only thing you have to think about is what value to put first as for sorting it's going to sort under the first genre. "Comedy, Television" is going to be under "C".
SAMURAi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SAMURAi »

ok, nice.. thanx! :)
cuz i did that yesterday and it creates 2 genres.. but its ok with the search so good.

:)

thanx again!

:D