Updating iWeb pages

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Updating iWeb pages

Post by iBoy »

Is there a way to add more entries to an existing iWeb page? Or do I have to make a completely new page every time? (which of course is very cumbersome when you have a large collection).

I have just tested the export to iWeb function, but haven't found a way to do this.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Say no more. Download the beta here and the first time you use "Send to iWeb" it will create a new page, but the second time it will ask if you would like to replace the current one or create a new one. You won't be able to add more entries to the existing page, but you can change the current ones. So select all the entries you like to have; for example if you have added entries to a collection use select all to add the new entries to the iWeb version of the collection. The new 2.0 version of iWeb seems to have no limit you can get your entire collection on there now (I have only tested up to 300 images but it creates pages within the same iWeb page).
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

I use DVDpedia, sorry I didn't mention that. The link was for CDpedia. It seems like iWeb has a limit by 500 entries, because I tried to export a list containing 525 entries, and the last 25 was missing. But the list I actually want to export isn't that large, so that's no problem for me.

I found another way to update a collection in iWeb! If you first export one album to iWeb and then export only some new entries to a new album, you cannot, for some reason, copy the new entries into the first album. They will just be added "above" the existing pictures and will not be a part of the photo grid. But if you make a new album in iWeb from scratch, by clicking the + down to the left, then you can copy new entries into this album! Just export the entries you want to add to a new album, and copy and paste them into the first album, then you can delete the new album. This way you can easily add one and one new entry without having to export all again. The pasted entries will get the same formatting as the existing.

Is it possible to let us choose a name for the iWeb page when exporting? Now the pages are always called DVDpedia DVDs. That's one of the reasons why I prefer to export the way explained above instead of replacing an existing export.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sorry about that, I was testing the feature on both and ended up updating CDpedia. Here is the link to DVDpedia (if you guessed at the link and downloaded it already do let me know, as the previous beta had a bug that needs a few steps to fix). iWeb keeps all the text information intact when updating, for some reason it does not respect the changed name and flips it back to DVDpedia DVDs.
KMJvet
Contributor
Contributor

password protecting

Post by KMJvet »

Since the directory for my DVDpedia generated pages don't show up at my .mac homepage for management, how can I password protect them?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

From .Mac homepage management create a blank site and password protect it. Then export from DVDpedia and during export name the "site name" the same as the name of the site you created in the first step. This way DVDpedia will replace the site you created in .Mac with your DVD information and your .Mac interface will also be aware of the site as it was created by .Mac.
KMJvet
Contributor
Contributor

thanks

Post by KMJvet »

Ahh...makes sense. Thank you.