Bulk Location Entries

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
corovian

Bulk Location Entries

Post by corovian »

Hi all, I'm a newbie to Bookpedia, busy getting my wife's *extensive* collection into the DB. I have two questions that I can't find an answer to in the forums, nor can I understand the support notes on the Web.

I want to be able to enter into the location field when I am completing a new entry from the ISBN enquiry window. Can some one give me the procedure to do this?

And, when I'm viewing a collection and want to "Edit Extra Information" is there a way to highlight multiple entries and insert a location for the lot? Tried highlighting, but when I do the option to edit grays out.

Any help on these 2 items would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure to have more, and I'm a good reader of instructions, but I'm stumped on these 2. Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The best way to do that is the way you assumed it would work and the way it should work; highlighting a number of books and then clicking on edit would let you edit the location for all the highlighted books in one step. Needless to say the edit should not be grayed out when you select multiple books. I can't reproduce the grayed out edit, in the book menu, the toolbar or the contextual menu. If you could email us a screenshot or exact steps so that we might look in the right place to find the bug.

For entering the information during the add phase you will find the location field on the extras tab by default. You might have to press the "show all" button to show empty fields. (All actions have shortcuts to make the process easier: command-d = toggle show all, command-shift-E = extras tab, command-] or [ = next and previous tab, tab = next field.) This window is also customizable; in the program's preferences you can turn of fields you are not interested in and re-arrange others to your liking, for example you could move the location to the main tab, or you could place it as the first field of the extras tab.
corowakid
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Worked!

Post by corowakid »

Thanks, it worked as you said. I was using the "Edit Extra Info" menu item instead of the "Edit book" item. Makes sense when I studied your reply.

As to the Add entry, that's something for me to work on. I'm wrestling with terminology as a new user, but it will come.

Much appreciated your help.