files, location question please

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Bruce
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

files, location question please

Post by Bruce »

Howdy. I am keeping my pedia databases (cd, dvd, book) on an external USB drive so I can have them available (assuming I remember the USB drive :oops: ) on both computers, work and home. So far this is working fine. I do see on the computer user/Library/Application Support a new set of pedia files ... an empty database I believe. I missqued a little as I was trying to get the pedias to find the new location before I found the "hold option key while starting" feature.

Can I delete these files, actually the whole folder, without causing any problems?

If I ever start a pedia without the USB drive with database attached is it going to create a new default database and support files?

Thanks ... bruce
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can delete the entire folder without repercussion. I would double check that the database.pediadata file is about 128k, this would be an empty file. Maybe leave the folder in the trash while you startup the programs make sure that your data was on your USB drive and there was no confusion.

DVDpedia will warn you when it launches and it can't locate the USB drive, it will then give options to locate, set default or quit (between version 4.0 and 4.1.1, it would create the default folder as the data was loaded before the warning came on screen, but that was fixed in 4.1.2).
theun4gven
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: files, location question please

Post by theun4gven »

Is there a way to have DVDpedia wait a little longer to locate the file? My library is located on an external USB drive that isn't always spinning. Sometimes when I open DVDpedia, it reverts to asking me to locate my library before the drive fully spins up. Currently, this happens about 20% of the time. This is especially troublesome because it is on my Mac Mini that I control entirely with an apple remote and it is a pain to locate the library using RemoteBuddy's virtual mouse.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

That's the first time we hear of this problem with a mounted drive. DVDpedia asks the Finder for the file so the Finder should be smart enough to know that it's spinning up the drive but we'll try to duplicate the problem here and see if we can find a way around it.
Just tried it with Time Capsule over wireless (the slowest drive in our setup when it comes to spinning up and becoming available) and that seemed to work fine. But we'll keep trying other setups too.
theun4gven
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by theun4gven »

Maybe you guys could fix the Finder while you are at it? :D

I thought this was odd seeing as how it only occured on the mini and not any of my other networked computers, especially since the drives were all plugged into the mini. I have since moved the drives to my AEBS and the problems have gone away. I appreciate the time you take attempting to fix our problems.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

theun4gven wrote:Maybe you guys could fix the Finder while you are at it? :D
:lol: :lol: Thank you for that! :lol: :lol: