Playing VIDEO_TS folders

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
tridentinecanon

Playing VIDEO_TS folders

Post by tridentinecanon »

I am interested in purchasing DVDpedia and have some questions about the way it plays VIDEO_TS folders.

First, what does DVDpedia use to play VIDEO_TS folders? Apple's DVD Player? (This is what I prefer.)

Also, how does the interface work for playing DVDs. What are the steps you take? Do you need to be in full screen?

Lastly, many of my DVDs are contained within sets which have multiple DVDs (such as the Star Wars Trilogy). How does DVDpedia handle the playback of the VIDEO_TS folder where the original DVD shared a box with other DVDs?

Thank you. This seems like marvelous software, and I appreciate the help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

First, what does DVDpedia use to play VIDEO_TS folders?
Apple's DVD Player by default but it can be changed to VLC or any other application.
Also, how does the interface work for playing DVDs. What are the steps you take? Do you need to be in full screen?
There is no need to be in full screen, you can launch the VIDEO_TS from full screen but it can also be done from the info view at the bottom of the main window (there should be a linked called DVD) as well as a toolbar play button (you have to customize your toolbar to add the button) last but not least the option-p keyboard shortcut will start playing a movie.
Lastly, many of my DVDs are contained within sets which have multiple DVDs (such as the Star Wars Trilogy). How does DVDpedia handle the playback of the VIDEO_TS folder where the original DVD shared a box with other DVDs?
You can add an entry for each DVD into DVDpedia if you like to keep them separate, but you can also add more than one VIDEO_TS folder to a single DVD in DVDpedia. From full screen you will be presented with a menu of what DVD you would like to launch, in the info view you can click the appropriate link. The other methods (shortcut and toolbar) launch the first DVD. If you choose to have multiple VIDEO_TS in a single DVDpedia entry make sure to name them something else than the standard "DVD" so that you can tell them apart when the choice comes to select one; "Disc 1", "Extras", .... If you add them as separate entries you can link the DVDs among themselves as well.
tridentinecanon

Post by tridentinecanon »

Wow. This software is slick. I just downloaded, purchased, and began setting up my movies. Takes no time at all.

Another question:

When selecting a movie to play, and DVDpedia launches the movie in DVD Player, how do I use my Apple Remote to control the movie in DVD Player? (I tried pressing the "MENU" on the remote to get the the DVD's menu, but it instead launched Front Row!)
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Pressing Menu will always open Front Row but DVD Player should respond to the other remote commands (that's up to DVD Player, you're no longer in DVDpedia at that point).
ltcarter47
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Playing VIDEO_TS folders

Post by ltcarter47 »

Trident,

Sounds like you're having a good time with DVDPedia. I just started using it myself in February. I would highly suggest taking a look at RemoteBuddy. It's a really nice compliment to DVDPedia. I don't even use my keyboard or mouse anymore on the Mini that's hooked up to my TV.

-LtCarter47