Syncing?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
hatsharpener

Syncing?

Post by hatsharpener »

Just purchase a couple ...pedias and am loving it. However, I have two Macs. Is there a way that I can alter the location of my library so that I can put it in a folder that will sync across my computers using .Mac? If not, which folder should I set to sync using FolderShare (http://www.foldershare.com/) or Dropbox (http://www.getdropbox.com/)?

Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Syncing?

Post by Nora »

Take a look at this Help page for some more information on sharing a database between different computers.
If you move the data folder to your iDisk, please be aware that this can slow down operations in the programs. If the computers are on the same network, the 'Shared' folder in Users/Shared is probably the best place to put the folder.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you do set up a sync of the folder be sure to set it up one-way. Because the database file is a flat file and if you do changes on both computers at the same time, one will overwrite the other (the one with the newest modification date). The data folder is located in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia. If you move the folder, make sure to do so with the program not running, then double click the Database.pediadata file inside the folder to launch the program once, doing this will let the program know that you changed the location of the data (launching with the option key down is a way to tell the program where the data folder is as well, but double click is more Mac like). You can check the location of the current data folder in use under the General tab in preferences.
hatsharpener

Post by hatsharpener »

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot!