DVDPedia/Leopard/iSight

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
rstang

Re: DVDPedia/Leopard/iSight

Post by rstang »

Hi all,

I have registered DVDPedia a while ago, and try to use it on a MacBook Pro (July 2007 generation) with OSX 10.5.3.
Trying to scan the barcodes using the iSight generally works OK, but only for the first two or three DVDs.

After that, the overall CPU utilization rises to 90-100%, and the application hangs. At this point I have to end DVDPedia hard, sometimes a reboot is required.

Is there a solution for that problem? Is there additional information I should provide to assist solving this?
So far I was unable to scan my 700 DVDs...

Best regards
Ruediger
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please send us any information from the console log from DVDpedia, any errors would be reported there. You can read the log with the program of the same name in your Applications/Utilities folder. Also a sample with Activity Monitor (also found in Applications/Utilities) would be useful, you can use the "Sample" button on the toolbar and save the resulting sample to attach in an email to us. This will let us know what function the program is spending so much time on. You'll find our email on the support page.
bradandbree
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by bradandbree »

Also experiencing a problem getting iSight to scan DVD bar codes. I have emailed my Console log entries to the support email address.

Thanks,
-Brad
bradandbree
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by bradandbree »

I just downloaded DVDpedia version 4.3.0, and immediately tried to scan in a new DVD. As before, it accurately identifies the correct UPN, but it goes through every site and ends with "There are no matches for..." But if I search by title, it shows up in Amazon immediately. This may be a different problem than what the original poster was describing, but mine is consistent and repeatable.

Hope this description helps.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the information. Some movies have EAN codes that for some reason are not in the database, It depends very much on where you bought them from. Let us know two of the EAN codes and we can try the searches here.
bradandbree
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by bradandbree »

Hi Conor,
It never occurred to me that this might be dependent on where the items were purchased. The 4 titles that I cannot get recognized were bought used from a video rental store, but appear to have legitimate barcodes on the back. Anyway, I went back to several titles I know to be recognized and sure enough, they were recognized immediately. So my issue turns out to be a false alarm and was just because of the particular titles. It's not the camera or the software!

Thanks for the tip!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It' quite possible that movies meant for rental carry a different EAN as they are released later then the ones for purchase. A google search on the number lets you know what number is common in database and which ones are not with only a few results.
rstang

Post by rstang »

Hi Conor,

sorry for the late reply, but I was n vacation for a while, and I tend to leave my laptop at home... ;-)

Since a lot happened since my last post, here is a status update:

- upgraded OSX to 10.5.4
- upgraded DVDPedia to 4.3.0

I just wanted to see if the behaviour changed.
Summary: scanning speed and quality is great, it takes less than a second for the barcode to be read correctly, sometimes I was still trying to align the barcode in the "lines" section when it was already identified correctly. But the software hang still happens (this time after about 10 scans).

I will follow your instructions this evening to provide additional information, hoping you find a clue to what is happening.

Regards
Ruediger

Conor wrote:Please send us any information from the console log from DVDpedia, any errors would be reported there. You can read the log with the program of the same name in your Applications/Utilities folder. Also a sample with Activity Monitor (also found in Applications/Utilities) would be useful, you can use the "Sample" button on the toolbar and save the resulting sample to attach in an email to us. This will let us know what function the program is spending so much time on. You'll find our email on the support page.