Front row integration

Announcements, upcoming features,... (READ ME!)
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Front row integration

Post by Nora »

Mathieu has just sent us version 1.1 of the Front Row plug-in which fixes the problem that could occur when the data folder was not in the default location (~/Library/Application Support). So download it, give it a try and leave any feedback here in this thread.
Mathieu also let us know that he's working on a new version that will support collection browsing and show more information about the selected movie. So look forward to that in the future!
keving
Inductee
Inductee

Post by keving »

Thank you in advance for the updated version with the facility to work with non-default paths. I'm out of the country at the moment, but will download the latest version and let you know how I get on. Fab speedy job, I've complete confidence that all is well. Cheers

Kevin
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

Very nice! One fairly serious bug though: It shows you movies that are in Collections that have been excluded from the Library. It would certainly be nice to have a subcategory that allows you to browse Collections, but at the top level you shouldn't be able to see Excluded Collections when browsing your library.

It just doesn't make sense -- for instance I have a "Seen on Film" Excluded Collection where I simply add any movie I see in a theater, even if I have no intention of ever getting the DVD. Having all those titles mixed in defeats the whole experience.

Thanks again for a great plugin -- and please fix this :-)

Ted
xfiring
Inductee
Inductee

Post by xfiring »

Just thought I'd post a feature request for this plug-in to launch VLC instead of Quicktime. Quicktime is still not as fluid as VLC and does not do some DTS audio for MKV files.

Thanks.
keving
Inductee
Inductee

Post by keving »

THANK YOU, brilliant plug-in and works great with multiple macs sharing one database. :-)
griffer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by griffer »

This plugin is awesome, thanks a lot! :)

One question do anybody know if it's possible to get this to work on the appletv with a hack? Im currently using my macbook pro to play movies on my tv, but using the appletv would be better... If it don't well then ill probably just buy a mac mini instead, gives a lot more extra features anyway.
foogy
Inductee
Inductee

Post by foogy »

Hi,

good news, I just bought an Apple TV last friday and decided to bring the DVDpedia Front Row plug-in to it. I'm about half way done with the port.
But you have to know that the whole patching and configuration of the AppleTV to allow installation of plug-ins have to be done anyway. Have a look at http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page to know what it implies.

One bad news, I will be pretty busy for the next 2 weeks, so the development of the plug-in will be slowed down.
-LD
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by -LD »

Sweet! I am more than willing to test it out on my AppleTV (hacked with patchstick).
agkerr3
Inductee
Inductee

Post by agkerr3 »

Is it possible to alter the position of DVDpedia in the Front Row menu? When I load the plugin, it is located right below "DVD" and right above "Movies," which is ideal. However, I no longer need the "Movies" plugin once I load DVDpedia. If I remove it, the DVDpedia menu item ends up at the end of the list, after Sources and Settings.

Is there an easy way to alter menu positioning?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There is a text file inside the plug-in that indicates the position of the menu to Front Row, be editing this text file you can add the value. Under the Go menu in the Finder use Go to Folder and enter:

Code: Select all

/System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVDpedia.frappliance/Contents
Open the Info.plist file in TextEdit and add the following two lines (change the 0 for the position number you would like the DVDpedia menu to appear at):

Code: Select all

<key>FRAppliancePreferedOrderValue</key>
<real>0</real>
agkerr3
Inductee
Inductee

Post by agkerr3 »

That is most excellent. Thanks for the tip. I've hacked around on the menu titles but had not figured out how to do the positioning.
edgauthier

Post by edgauthier »

It would be great if when sorting, words at the beginning of the title like "The" and "A" could be ignored. I noticed in DVDPedia this is happening, but in Frontrow, movies that start with The are sorted down with the T's.

Also - I'm looking forward to seeing the AppleTV option. I've been looking for something to use as a video server and DVDPedia with this plugin on an AppleTV seems like a great option.

Thanks,
-Ed
exyss
Inductee
Inductee

Post by exyss »

dude! you've got to give us a donation link at least! i'd pay in a heartbeat for an apple tv plugin!
d2photo
Inductee
Inductee

Post by d2photo »

Think I may have found my problem as I don't have the database in the default local - so I guess I'll be waiting for the fix.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The latest version can handle the database in a different location than the default, so be sure to install the plug-in again.