PocketPedia makes me buy DVD/Bookpedias :)

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Zorglub
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

PocketPedia makes me buy DVD/Bookpedias :)

Post by Zorglub »

In history, i had my DVD/books collections on my Palm (in ThinkDB2 databases), which was great when I was shopping...
I was expecting the same on my iPod Touch. So I have tried PockedPedia, which is exactly what I need.
After some experimentation with the trial version of DVDPedia, i have bought it (with BookPedia), and loaded all my DVD collection from my Palm database.
And then synced it with my iPod Touch.
And i am VERY happy with it.
Next step : to load my (much larger) book collection...

Thanks a lot for these great apps !!! :D :D :D

And on the PocketPedia wishlist, my top item is a random selector, wich could return me some (3 to 5 ?) random suggestions from a Pedia list.
It will help us to choose which movie we are viewing the next evening... ;)
Edit : Someone else had already asked for it here...
Conor
Top Dog

Re: PocketPedia makes me buy DVD/Bookpedias :)

Post by Conor »

Glad to hear you bought our programs. Thank you for the feedback on Pocketpedia. In the meantime you are now the proud owner of the Pedias, use them to your advantage; the select random movie in available in DVDpedia, and even looks impressive in cover flow and full screen mode.
lestatdelc
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same "bug" with my Poketpedia

Post by lestatdelc »

I downloaded the App to my iPhone last night, and was compelled to purchase the 4 'pedia bundle (any time Bruji spent on devleoping their iPhone App may be paying off since it lead to my purchase). So now, because of thie "bug" (wry grin) I have not only had $49 sucked out of my bank account, but now I have had my weekend sucked into bar code scanning my entire apartment. Thanks for messing up my apartment as I giddily pull every book, DVD, and game I own into huge piles next to my MacBook. On the upside, I now have the requisite work experience being a grocery store checkout person, bar code scanning like a fiend.

One suggestion, which because I am a total newbie with the software, it would be great if there were ways to add other search sources into the Bookpedia. For example, here in Portland we have one of the best bookstores in the nation (Powell's Books) which has a massive online shop/search as well. Some of the things that don't turn up via Amazon, etc., do turn up there, and with images that Amazon(s) don't. BTW, where are the "Download cover art for selection" source from and is there a way to choose form possible multiple cover art choices?

Also, while I have not yet explored it much, making the CD and the DVD Pedias as equally robust in vinyl records and legacy VHS as well would be nice (though as I said, they may do well already and I have dug into them enough).

Anyway, so far I am loving these Pedias, and look forward to leveraging the HTML export functionality once my life is captured in them, so I can post them on my iLife web pages so friends and family can browse my collections and can then borrow books and movies, and can see my wishlists etc.

Good job Bruji.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: PocketPedia makes me buy DVD/Bookpedias :)

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestions. We are always looking for new plug-ins to improve the pedias. The reason Amazon is so attractive is because they offer this information through a supported API. Making it stable and easy to use. It's for this reason that they have achieved such integration with so many websites and programs. Hopefully more an more websites will start providing this service.

Download cover art for selection uses Amazon and uses the cover labeled as primary for the product. Drag and drop of a cover in Safari to the image well is a great way to customize covers, another trick is that you can use the info view at the bottom as a web browser by control clicking it and using "go to site..." then you can ctrl-click any cover and set it as the cover art for the current selection, I use this method for rare movies in conjunction with Google images.