PocketPedia won't sync

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
jhwalker

PocketPedia won't sync

Post by jhwalker »

I have DVDPedia (newest version, downloaded today) on Mac 10.4.x and PocketPedia on iPod Touch. When DVDPedia is running on the Mac, the "Sync" button shows up on PocketPedia, but when I push the "Sync" button, it says "Synchonizing . . . Requestion collections." for about 30 seconds, then the dialog goes away and nothing has happened - no collections show up, no activity. The DVDPedia Library is rather large (about 2000 movies), but I'd think it would at least tell me if there were an issue with the size; instead, there is no feedback at all.

Any hints?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: PocketPedia won't sync

Post by Nora »

Take a look at this thread for some answers.
jhwalker

Post by jhwalker »

Nora wrote:Take a look at this thread for some answers.
Thanks - I turned off the built-in firewall on my Mac and it immediately began syncing!

That said, I need to understand how to configure the Mac firewall to allow syncing *without* turning off the firewall :cry:

I'll keep an eye on this and similar threads.
kuzelnik
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by kuzelnik »

Looked at the other thread and this one. Can't get the sync button in Pocketpedia. Firewall is turned off and everything is wide open. Tried going directly to my Powerbook (so no router in between) and doesn't work.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Kuzelnik,

We are still trying to find out what are all the network settings that might block the connection. Once I find out I will let you know. I am very surprised that with an ad-hoc network the sync button failed to appear. Like most situations where no solution presents itself I can only suggest you try installing both Pocketpedia and DVDpedia again. Going through the setup steps sometimes an issues becomes obvious.
kuzelnik
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by kuzelnik »

Yeah..I've tried just about everything I can think of. I've reinstalled everything and I'm using the latest versions. I'm on a Powerbook G4 running 10.5.4.
lopan
Inductee
Inductee

Post by lopan »

MIne also. No firewall, same access point. My touch has worked very well since the upgrade (2.0). My access point is encrypted using wpa 2.0 and heavy duty passwords, Cisco access point also.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I need to understand how to configure the Mac firewall to allow syncing *without* turning off the firewall
There is an option in your System Preferences/Security/Firewall to allow only certain connections. Include the Pedias there so that you don't have to turn off your firewall every time you want to sync.
RestlessReader

Post by RestlessReader »

I, too, do not have the "sync" button in PocketPedia. Firewall is turned off. Let me know if there's a solution. Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Try creating a network on your Mac and then connect your iPod touch to that network. (You can create a network by clicking on the airport menu item at the top of your screen and choosing 'Create Network'.) Let us know if you don't get the sync button once the two devices are connected to this same network.
RestlessReader

Post by RestlessReader »

Thank you, the sync button has appeared!

Here's what wasn't clear to me and may be helpful to the next person. I had wifi turned off and assumed that PocketPedia would sync when I synced with my cable via iTunes. Instead, I needed to simply turn wifi on the iPhone on and the sync button will appear.

Thanks again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That is something else will have to add to our help/manual page for Pocketpedia. Pocketpedia is so new that there are still things we haven't thought about, such as the WiFi being off, personally we always keep it on, so we didn't think to include that in the help. Thank you for the feedback.
Dr. Gregski
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Dr. Gregski »

Same problem here after upgrading to iPhone 2.01 firmware.

Cannot sync.

Everything is wide open.

Tried reinstalling Pocketpedia.

At this point I'm ready to just look into the competitor's software. The extra $20 I pay may alleviate the hassle of dealing with PFM related problems. Including some option for this application to sync via USB would be in the best interest of keeping my blood pressure down and my iPhone out of harms way.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We wish that USB sync would be a possibility and have requested an enhancement with Apple. We are
also looking into the 2.0.1 sync issue affecting a few users. Do you see the sync button?
b-Rent

Post by b-Rent »

I just added Pocketpedia to my new iPhone and, while it syncs my library of 225 movies with no problem, it won't add the images. After running through the movies it gets stuck at "Requesting image 3 of 225". I've tried it multiple times and "3 of 225" is the furthest it's been able to get.

Any help for this?

Thanks.