Front row integration

Announcements, upcoming features,... (READ ME!)
keving
Inductee
Inductee

Re: Front row integration

Post by keving »

Great plugin, loving it. Question, directed at agkerr3, but open to any suggestions. Is there any way of changing the title, to say "dvd movies"? As an aside, I have a handful of mac minis set up with the plugin, is there any way of hiding/removing the "settings" and "sources" options in Front Row? Now I've the system setup I don't want the kids (or anyone else) tinkering with it.

Thanks
Kevin
bryn
Inductee
Inductee

Post by bryn »

Great plug-in, was one of the main reasons I brought DVDPedia as I was in desperate need of a iTunes like product for DVD's that also integrated into FrontRow.

I was wondering if there was a way to change or delete the menu's inside the main DVDPedia menu in Frontrow, because currently I only want to sort by Title and Genre, and I have also added a column called Artists in DVDPedia and would like to add that.

Also, someone asked in another thread if you could change the program DVDPedia uses to play the DVD's inside FrontRow. As he didn't post the question in this thread as suggested to, I have the same question as he as I have had some DVD's play fine inside VLC and Apple DVD Player and yet freeze in DVDPedia's plug-in for FrontRow.

Thanks
Bryn

PS: Just found this little thing out, nothing to do with DVDPedia but people with FrontRow and a decent internet connection may be interested. If you would like to view HD movie trailers in the Theatrical Trailers section of FrontRow, just open Terminal and type (copy and paste is fine too) this :

defaults write com.apple.frontrow EnableHDMovieTrailers TRUE

This adds an extra little sub-menu into the Theatrical Trailer menu called "HD Trailers", videos in this section stream the 720p trailers instead of the 480p (I think) versions that are in the notmal trailers section.
miniman
Inductee
Inductee

Post by miniman »

Hey, again, GREAT product! and the reason I bought dvdpedia!

As per the previous respondent, It would be way better if you could allow configurable players to be launched... Quicktime still causes judder or stuttery playback on my Video_ts folders which is not apparent when using dvd player and VLC directly. As it stands I usually have to launch dvd player directly or through dvdpedia and not use the plugin (SOB :( ) to avoid the annoying lags....

Anyhows, I hope this great feature is added, as it would certainly make this the most wife friendly HTPC solution I've come across!

Many Thanks, and keep up the good work.
bryn
Inductee
Inductee

Post by bryn »

Oh yes that was another reason I was requesting this feature, the (infrequent) stuttering playback on some of my DVD's on my hard drive, as miniman said, was most disappointing when watching a movie, I believe allowing another player to be launched (if that is possible given this is just a plug-in for FrontRow), even externally, may remedy this.
phcjpp
Inductee
Inductee

Post by phcjpp »

Hi Guys,

Quick one with respect to integration with AppleTV / Frontrow. Is DVDPedia configurable to write out the XML / JPG's that ATVFiles requires or does it use a totally different system (say database back on a central server) ?

Right now I have a NAS with movie files mounted both Mac Powerbook and also 2 AppleTV's. I Use one of the scripts floating around that finds movie info based on filename and downloads XML and voer art.

Thanks
Chris
WizardFusion
Inductee
Inductee

Post by WizardFusion »

Firstly, thank you for a great plugin.

Some suggestions if I may...

I have quite a few movies and have created smart collections for them, but the collection list does not show up in the plugin - is there anyway to get this added.?
Also I would like to second the option someone asked above on how to remove other items from the menu list. Specifically, I personally don't want "Directors", "Actors", "Years" or "Countries".

Thanks

WizF
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia does have an XML export. The default .dvdpedia file contains an XML file; after exporting a .dvdpedia file ctrl-click it and use the "Show Package Contents" menu command to view the XML. DVDpedia runs on a sqlite backend, so you can also access the database directly via sqlite3 and export SQL formatted text or manipulate the database. Be sure to backup the database file ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata if you open it up with sqlite.

Also there is an interesting post about getting Front Row information into DVDpedia for those new to DVDpedia.
foogy
Inductee
Inductee

Post by foogy »

Hi!

The next version of the plug-in is coming soon. The release mainly focus on AppleTV compatibility but also include some enhancements and few requested features like collection browsing.
Also, has suggested, I added a donation link on our website: http://www.para9.com.

Thanks for all comments and suggestions!
-LD
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by -LD »

How is the AppleTV release looking?

Can't wait to try it out!
foogy
Inductee
Inductee

Post by foogy »

Hi,

just to close the thread: the version 2 of the plug-in have been released http://bruji.com/articles/2008/08/16/fr ... g-in-v-20/
A new thread have been created for this version http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2617
alxbruji
Inductee
Inductee

Post by alxbruji »

Would it be possible to change the plug-in so that it displays the MEDIA LOCATION field? That would be REALLY USEFUL.
Thanks!!!