Search window open after a url drag [dvdpedia]

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Search window open after a url drag [dvdpedia]

Post by sitenoise »

Why is that?

I honestly never use dvdpedia to search. I find what I'm after, usually at imdb, and drag it to the dvdpedia icon and then have to dismiss the search window to get at the add/edit window. Am I missing a preference setting or is there a reason for this behavior.

thanks ...
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Search window open after a url drag [dvdpedia]

Post by Conor »

The search window should open for a second while it searches and then close and the add/edit window should come up. A preference worth trying out is the "Return to search window after add". Another useful preference is the "Add first result automatically". It won't let you edit the entry right away, but it lets you drag a number of entries over to DVDpedia without interaction.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

The culprit is "Spaces". If I assign my browser and dvdpedia to the same space, the search window disappears after a drag. But I have dvdpedia assigned to Space 6 (it deserves its own Space!) and my browser to Space 4. A drag in these circumstances and the search window remains open. What a drag ... :( Oh well.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the detail. I will give it try and see if there is something I can do. I stopped using Spaces due to the havoc it was causing with my workflow, so I wouldn't have noticed that in testing.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

fyi - (first off, don't knock yourself out on this one, it's not that big a deal), I'm running 10.5.4 with the new improved Spaces, just so you know. Some behavior was changed an update or two ago and a checkbox was added to the prefs. I leave it unchecked.

What's interesting, maybe, is that the search box lands on top; if I close that and hit command-w again, it closes the main window, which has been open the whole time, so it seems like the Add/Edit window sneaks in there behind the main window in terms of frontage-ness. Maybe that's normal, seems weird to me.