BookPedia Links

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
marksealey
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

BookPedia Links

Post by marksealey »

I've been using the fabulous BookPedia 3 for several months now and realize I don't really know what 'Links' are and how I can use them.

Is there an entry on Links anywhere in an FAQ or the Help file (I can't find one), please?

TIA!
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by live4ever »

I use them to link to an eBook PDF file if I have one for the title, or the publisher homepage, or any texts that came with a CD-ROM I can link the entry to a disk image.
marksealey
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Thanks - still in the dark

Post by marksealey »

live4ever,

Thanks! So are links in general meant for files on your local machine?

Or to web pages; other files? Other items in the BookPedia database?

Does one link go to one record? How is it attached there? Unattached?

Can it be any media?

I guess I thought I knew but can't find docs. on it.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are working on overhauling the help to make it more useful and also add a lot more information.

In the meantime the links are very flexible. The can be any URL, which means it can be a file, any kind, also a web page but you will have to be online. (We are working in incorporating a make web archive command for future versions, so that you can store it off-line; you can do that now but you have to create the web archive first and then link it.) The way the links work are by keeping a URL to the file and when you click the link it tells the finder to launch that URL with your preferred program. You can launch apps, you could even create mailto: links and have a mail link.

There some special cases where you can link things other than URLs; you can link books to other books. You can link between the pedia programs as well, for example the Harry Potter book to the Harry Potter movie. Movie files linked will be recognised and in the full screen mode give you the options to launch the movie, or to launch it with option-p and the toolbar play button in DVDpedia.

The biggest tip is you can drag and drop on the info view of an entry to create links. For example dragging a PDF file of a book chapter over the info view entry of a book.

Also if linking many books among themselves hold down option when linking to create back links. You might have the James Bond collection you can then select them all on your table view and option drag them over the info view. This will create a link from every James Bond book to all the other books in the collection.

You can rename, add, remove and move links in the edit panel under the links section (You can't re-order them, yet). Linking a file doesn't move it in the Finder, but if you want to keep track of that file only with Bookpedia there is a move button that will move the file into the Bookpedia data folder under "Downloads". This has the advantage that when you backup your Bookpedia data folder by making a copy of it, you will also backup those linked files that have been moved there. Also useful with images that are linked from an online source they will be downloaded onto the hard drive.

Hope that give you a place to start making links useful to you. If you have any questions let us know.
marksealey
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Thanks!

Post by marksealey »

Conor,

Thanks a lot. That's very helpful. I imagined it'd be something like that.

Shall think of a use for them and make the most.

Good luck with this wonderful program.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Good luck with this wonderful program.
Thank you.