Sorting with Roman Numerals

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Jzuli
Inductee
Inductee

Sorting with Roman Numerals

Post by Jzuli »

Hello, just bought DVDpedia a few days ago. Well worth it, and am considering buying Bookpedia to complement it.

I added all of my DVD's, and everything worked just fine. (I tried the isight method, but I have a MacBookPro with a built-in isight, and I gather from some of the forum posts that it won't work if it can't focus - no biggy.)

After I had added all the DVDs, I noticed that there were some odd behaviours with sorting though. I suppose "odd" isn't quite correct, because sorting seems to work fine if you don't take into account roman numerals. For example, I own a number of the Star Trek movies, as well as a season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. When I sort by name, I would expect to see the following:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: Whatever It's Called
Star Trek The Next Generation Season One
etc.

However, what happens is:
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek The Next Generation Season One
Star Trek V: Whatever It's Called

The system isn't considering roman numerals as numbers, but letters. Is there some way to have it sort "correctly" (ie, the way I'd like?) This isn't a huge deal, as I could just rename the movies with arabic numerals, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Please advise.

Cheers.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Unfortunately the program can't tell the difference between a V as in 'V for Vendetta' and a V as in 'Star Trek V'. It just sees the letter V and sorts it accordingly. So you'll have to substitute the Roman numerals for Arabic ones...