Scanning books offline?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Tom
Inductee
Inductee

Scanning books offline?

Post by Tom »

Is it possible to scan a bunch of books without internet access and let the programm search for these books later, when I have internet access again? I would like to scan many books which I have stored in my parents place, with my Macbooks iSight. My parents live in a remote place and do not have internet. If it is not possible, would that be an interesting feature for a future version?

Many thanks for your really good programm

Best regards,

Thomas
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Yes you can. Use the menu command edit-->add multiple books to scan the books into the list and then wait until you get home to hit the OK button.

So that you can make a copy of the searches so you don't lose all your scanning work, in case you quit the program or shut down your computer between locations, I added a drag and drop method (You will have to re-download bookpedia as of this post and it works on Tiger only). To do this select all the search entries in the table and drag them off to the finder to create a text clipping. If you quit the program you can always copy and paste the ISBN from the text clipping into the add multiple field and it will add them back. (Even though the add multiple field is one line tall it can handle a large text document.) Also when scanning books you can mix in titles and keywords. It doesn't have to be only ISBN, useful with old books or mass market paperbacks without an EAN on the inside of the front cover.
Joe_S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Joe_S »

What "key" is needed to do this from the box itself.

When I try using SerialMagic Pro for OS X with the Flic Bluetooth Scanner:
1) Sending "Enter" key after text sent for each UPC -> Only yields one entry (Thought it might trigger the add button or add a line similar to pasted text)

2) Send "Space" after text sent for each UPC -> Yields a long string of codes with spaces unusable by DVDPedia

Have tried tab as well without success.

The only way it works is to send the codes+enter to TextEdit and then paste that in. Not very elegant. There's also a SerialMagic AppleEvent Sample that might be helpful for adding support to the Pedias.

http://serialio.com/support/SerialMagic/OSX/API_OSX.php (Downloadable XCode at bottom)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the link. The enter should trigger the add button. Could it possibly be a new line character and not an enter?