Can't link DVDs in DVDpedia v3.2.2

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Impish

Can't link DVDs in DVDpedia v3.2.2

Post by Impish »

Even tho' I'm following the instructions in the Help files, I can't get DVDs to link to each other. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the Links feature is for?

I have a box set with 20 movies. I'd like to make separate entries for all 20 movies, and link each to the entry for the box set itself. This would be useful to me, as my collection is growing rapidly, and it would be good to know that for a given movie, I should look for the box set rather than a DVD filed away in a cabinet.

The help files tell me to open the Info View for one item (I'm using the entry for the box set) and then drag another item onto the info view to link the two.

But as soon as I select the second item, the info view for the first disappears and is replaced by the one I'm dragging.

I also tried to command-select the two entries simultaneously, and then click on the "Links" button in the toolbar. The help files didn't tell me to, I was just hoping this would be an alternative method.

Anyway, two questions: can one entry be linked with another, and if so, how?

Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The linking feature can sound a bit confusing. (We actually just updated the Help file on that to make it a bit easier to follow.)

But maybe this example will help:
Let's say you have Movie A and Movie B and you want to link them together.
If you only want to link Movie A to Movie B but not the other way around, then select Movie A first, hold down Command and then select Movie B (so it's showing in the Info View) and drag the two movies over the Info View.
Depending on the Info View template you have selected you'll be able to see the link appear automatically, bearing the title 'Movie A'. (Don't worry, Movie B won't link to itself.)

If you want to have the two movies linked to each other automatically, follow the same procedure as above only now hold down the Option key while dragging the movies over the Info View. In this case it also doesn't matter whether movie A or B is showing in the Info View since they will be linked both ways.

The Links button in the toolbar is to access the links (especially movie files, URLs, text files, etc.) after they have been created.

There's also a how-to page outlining links and how they work: http://www.bruji.com/howto/links.html if you want to read some more about it but I hope this clarifies the feature a bit. Do write again though if you have more questions or if it all sounds Spanish to you.
Impish

Post by Impish »

Nora wrote:The linking feature can sound a bit confusing. (We actually just updated the Help file on that to make it a bit easier to follow.)

But maybe this example will help:
Let's say you have Movie A and Movie B and you want to link them together.
If you only want to link Movie A to Movie B but not the other way around, then select Movie A first, hold down Command and then select Movie B (so it's showing in the Info View) and drag the two movies over the Info View.
Depending on the Info View template you have selected you'll be able to see the link appear automatically, bearing the title 'Movie A'. (Don't worry, Movie B won't link to itself.)

If you want to have the two movies linked to each other automatically, follow the same procedure as above only now hold down the Option key while dragging the movies over the Info View. In this case it also doesn't matter whether movie A or B is showing in the Info View since they will be linked both ways.

The Links button in the toolbar is to access the links (especially movie files, URLs, text files, etc.) after they have been created.

There's also a how-to page outlining links and how they work: http://www.bruji.com/howto/links.html if you want to read some more about it but I hope this clarifies the feature a bit. Do write again though if you have more questions or if it all sounds Spanish to you.
Thanks, Nora, for coming once again to my rescue. Your exlanation above does help, even better than the web page you referenced. Using the "Command" key was, well,... key. The web page fails to mention it that little detail, discussing only whether to use the Option key or not. Believe me, if you don't hold down one or the other, links don't work, at least on a Mac.

Thanks again,

Impish

Bill
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I'll try and make that clearer on the web page and in the Help. Thanks.