Sharing large collections

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Sharing large collections

Post by iBoy »

I have problem with sharing a large DVDpedia collection with other computers. The file is in .DVDpedia format and contain about 1000 entries. To make the file as small as possible, I have made a batch in Photoshop to crop and compress all cover artworks to 175 by 250 pixels. The file is 50-60 MB. I have tried to open the file on three other Macs with DVDpedia installed, both G4, G5 and Intel, but nothing happens. The collection appear in the left window, but no covers or text appear in the main window. Other exported collections, with about 100 entries work fine.

Is there a limitation for how large files I can export?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There should be no limit to the number of DVDs you can export to .dvdpedia. Try importing the file without running the batch compression first, if it works it's something Photoshop is doing. Also send us the compressed file, we can try importing it here and see if we can find the cause of the failure to import the images.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

Thanks. I have now sent you the .dvdpedia file.

The Photoshop batch compresses the original cover artwork in the Library/ApplicationSupport/DVDpedia folder, so I do not have the original covers anywhere. The batch is also removing the stroke around the covers that have a stroke around, to make them all similar (I am very thorough about the look).

I got an error message after the transmission to your ftp server, but it seems like all files were sent.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I got the covers, but it failed to upload the info.xml file with the movie information. Can you zip it with right-click "Create Archive" before sending it, that way protecting from any errors that might happen while transmitting. Thank you. (If you have a slow internet connection, you can send me just the info.xml file that is inside the .dvdpedia file by using "Show Package Contents").
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

I first tried to upload a zipped version of the full .dvdpedia file, but I got a new error message. Then I uploaded a zipped info.xml file. I got no error messages for this file.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sorry about the error on uploading the file. It was my fault, the quota for incoming was only 50 megabytes and I forgot about that. I have made that larger for the future.

However by adding the missing info.xml file to the .dvdpedia it imported the entire collection 1057 DVDs and all the covers. A very nice collection, your batch Photoshop job is impressive indeed; although I personally would use a higher pixel count so that the covers look good in fullscreen mode.

Double check the version of DVDpedia on the Macs your importing the file to. The .dvdpedia file format changed back in 3.1, make sure you have 3.3 on all of them. If it still not importing properly, check the console log for any errors from DVDpedia, using the program of the same name under the Utilities folder.

Now that the quota is larger you can send me the exact file your importing, although I don't see a reason for why it should be different from the one I put together from your two uploads. Although with computers you never know. :lol:
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

Hello again! I have now upgraded DVDpedia on one of the other Macs, and exported a new collection that works fine! I took 3 minutes though, to import the collection.

I wish I could have larger cover images, but I want the original Norwegian DVD covers, and I get most of them from a web store with this small size. The secret with automatically removing the stroke around covers in Photoshop, is to use the Canvas size: select Relative size, and set to -2 pixels in both height and width. This removes 1 pixels on all sides of the image. The batch also includes auto levels, resizing and sharpening, before it saves for web and replaces the original image.

But since problem was solved with the application upgrade, I guess I don't need to upload a new file to you. Thanks for the help :-)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I noticed that importing the 1000 covers takes a while and thought about adding a progress bar to future versions. Glad it was the fact that DVDpedia wasn't up to date. :D