replacing the ; for comma's (,)

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Meyotch

replacing the ; for comma's (,)

Post by Meyotch »

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this topic only i have a question about replacing dot comma's for only comma's.

Here is the problem. I imported my movies from a csv file (from my ant movie catalog program) and to make that work i had to change al the comma's into dot comma's (;). Now everything is inserted i would like to change it back but not manualy.

Is there a way to do this or is it impossible?

Thank you in advance.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Our database file is an XML file which means it can be read by any text editor. Make sure DVDpedia is not running and open the following file in your home folder with a text editor: ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/info.xml and you can do a search and replace the semicolon for the comma. Also make a copy of the info.xml file before doing this as a backup.
Meyotch

Post by Meyotch »

Thank you for your reply but it doesn't work. Once i replaced al the semicolon's ; for comma's DVDpedia can't open it and talks about some upgrade. If i choose upgrade, instead of quit, nothing happens and there are no librarys, nothing.

Is there an other way or did I do something wrong? Good thing you told me to make a backup, otherwise i wouldn't have done it.

Muchos gracias.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

This is why backups are important. :D The problem means DVDpedia is not able to read the file properly because something changed. I would guess it's the encoding of <, > and &, In XML they are <, > and &. The removal of the semi-colon here is destroying the XML file. The easiest solution is to change the semi-colon in your CSV file before the import to something unique. MY_COMA, then afterwards do a replace MY_COMA for , this will avoid replacing the semi-colon of the encoding.