Other Biz. uses for barcode scanner

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
bird
Inductee
Inductee

Other Biz. uses for barcode scanner

Post by bird »

I am, on occassion, a professionl house painter. I oftentimes have left over paint and would like to scan these cans (as well as other products) into a visual database.

I use Benjamin Moore paints and I know they have a program that includes a database of their paint and color swatches (called Personal Color Viewer 2.0) available for about 15 bucks at Ben Moore. ICI Duron Paints has a program available also - for the pc only though...

Is there any way to (or could you see it in the near future) scan in the paint cans, allow for an indication of quanitity left and a color sample (swatch).

This could VERY effective for the small business owner.

I woould imagine this could easily be added or referenced to this program thru simple dialogue...maybe by accessing the PCV2.0 library

(I am using the external camera)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestion. We like to make a more flexible pedia that can be used to catalog all kinds of things. But not in the near future. You could manually enter this information into DVDpedia if you feel so inclined. You could capture art with the iSight, DVDpedia has a built in command. There are also posts on this forum on how to change some of the field names (do a search for "RealTitles"). It's not ideal and a lot of work as you have to enter the information manually, but if you find yourself really needing this kind of functionality it's worth a try.