Easiest way to keep the same DVDpedia data on 2 Macs?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Easiest way to keep the same DVDpedia data on 2 Macs?

Post by ScottH »

I recently got a second Mac, which I'm going to use when I travel. It's going to be networked to my primary Mac only occasionally. I'd like to load DVDpedia on it (which I'm pretty sure is OK with the license) and make a copy of my main DVDpedia library on it. Then, I'd like to periodically update (overwrite) that second Mac with my primary Mac's pedia library. I don't want them both to share the same file, since they won't be networked very often. Making a copy every so often would be fine--all edits will happen on the primary Mac. I just want it on Mac #2 for reference.

Am I correct in guessing that the easiest way to do that is just to replace the ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia folder on the second Mac with the one from the primary Mac?

Is there another way, or is this it? It's essentially doing a backup from one and a restore to the other. Thanks!
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

Yes, that's the correct procedure. It's faster to transfer the data if you make a ZIP file of it, by using BP's Export: Backup command. Then copy the ZIP file to a flash drive, and then to your laptop, expand it and place it in the Library: Application Support: Bookpedia folder.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, that's pretty much it. Just make sure the program isn't running while you replace the data folder. And yes, you can run DVDpedia on your second Mac too - no need for another license.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Thanks!

Post by ScottH »

Thanks! It worked perfectly.