Portuguese DVD's database

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
pedrocm
Contributor
Contributor

Portuguese DVD's database

Post by pedrocm »

I'm a Bookpedia and CDpedia user and I've been considering to get started in DVDpedia. I've been postponing the decision, though, expecting to find in each update the support for portuguese DVD's. A long time ago another user - z0mbi3 - asked for the same thing, suggested the site <www.dvdpt.com> as a source and, apparently, was taking the task in his hands. But since no plug-in has surfaced in the meantime, I suppose he didn't. Unfortunately I know nothing about programming, so I'm not up to the job.
My collection is growing fast and I need to do something about it. So, here's the question: any plans for supporting portuguese DVD's in the (near) future? Anyone working on a plugin?

Thanks.

PS - By the way... I posted about the same kind of problem with Bookpedia, and the need for support for the french UNIMARC standard which apparently dominates most of portuguese libraries. Any news on that, also? Sorry for the insistence... :(
pedrocm
Contributor
Contributor

No news, then, uh?...

Post by pedrocm »

I can understand that you have a lot on your mind and that the features I asked for are not a top priority on your list. But I don't think I asked for something absurd. The first time the portuguese DVD thing was mentioned was over 2 years ago, the question about the UNIMARC z39.50 servers was first posted about a year ago. It seemed reasonable to try to find out if any progresses were made or if there were new ideas on those subjects.
You could've just said "No", "No ideas on that", "it's not really a problem", or something to that effect. But it would've been nice if you had just said something...
Regards,

p.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

No news, unfortunately I have nothing to report on the DVD Portuguese plug-in front at the moment. Everything you mentioned is correct development was started on a Portuguese plug-in but it must have turned out that dvdpt site was too complex and it was never finished. On the UNIMARC front I wish it weren't such an old standard and so complicated to support, but it is also on the to do list. In the future don't hesitate to email if you are looking for an immediate personal answer.
pedrocm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pedrocm »

Thank you for the answer.
Let's hope that someone is brave enough to take care of the DVD's issue, then.
And don't give up on the UNIMARC, please, because I suspect that we won't get rid of those old french standards anytime soon...

Cheers,

p.
pedrocm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pedrocm »

Hello Conor,

Since I don't have any experience with cocoa programming, I decided to do the only other thing possible: to try to find someone who does and might be interested in taking care of the portuguese DVD's issue. The only way I could think of, was to send a post to the portuguese Apple users mailling list (http://www.iclub.com.pt/mailinglist.php) - one of biggest in Europe (over 3500 subscribers). I praised Bruji software and described my problem. Hopefully you'll get new portuguese users asking for the missing features. And maybe someone will be brave enough to take care of the issue...

Cheers,

p.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the support for the software. I do hope someone takes up your call. I have the started plug-in for dvdpt, it's just an empty shell; but if anybody emails you let them know of this post and I can post the plug-in. They won't have to worry setting up the project, they can simply start figuring out how dvdpt works.