Movie Artwork in DVDpedia and Wikipedia support!

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.

Would you like to see support for Wikipedia?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:12 pm

Yes, only the artwork
No votes
Yes, both artwork, review, and cast details
80%
No, thank you... DVDpedia already has enough plug-ins
20%

Total votes: 5

gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Movie Artwork in DVDpedia and Wikipedia support!

Post by gryphonent »

I hate it when my artworks a) don't match or b) show some DVD cover shot or mock-up and not the original movie poster. I have stopped using the "download cover art for selection" function for this very reason. I assume the function, though it is stated nowhere, does retrieve artwork from Amazon.com and IMDB.

I have found both allmovie.com and wikipedia.com to provide much better artwork. Especially Wikipedia is terrific as it adheres to the original movie artwork. And the information on a movie is fantastic and much more professional than those lame IMDB reviews.

So, may I pop the question: when do we get Wikipedia support in DVDpedia?
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

Artworks: use Google Image to get the widest range of choices.

Reviews: yes, Wikipedia reviews are better but some times quite long. Maybe just the top paragraph, followed by a URL link?
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

I try Google Image as well. Or allposters.com. However, they can bring up a lot of false results and I was thinking in terms of a plug-in for the Pedias.
drjohncmac
Captain
Captain

Post by drjohncmac »

I use DVDPedia for a movie catalog system ... not a DVD catalog system (contrary to what its name implies). I currently have over 5,000 entries (3,500+ Laserdiscs plus HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.) I prefer the original movie poster artwork when possible to the "garish" DVD labeling.

I ordinarily go directly to Wikipedia and search for a movie poster for new movies added. Out of the 5,000+ entrys only a couple of hundred have DVD (or VHS in the case of "Song of the South") labels.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

I too like the original artwork much more than the ones they produce for DVDs... with gigantic faces of the stars in the foreground. Therefore Wikipedia has become my artwork source of choice.